• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

April 2021 Postal Match - 6 Shots

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
April 2021 Postal Match - 6 Shots

This month we are going use an NMLRA downloadable target from 2020 with some slight modifications as noted on the attached target pdf..

Download and print your target attached below. Write your forum screen name on the front of your target as soon as you print it!

This is a six shot target. Fire one shot at each bull.

The shooting distance for this contest is 25 yards.
No do-over’s. Print and shoot one target only. One rifle and one pistol is acceptable.
Only registered forum members may participate.

This month I'm trying something new. Take a picture of your target and post it on the forum under this months (April) shot to share with other members. However, to be officially scored and posted in the final results you must still mail in your target unless you are overseas as noted below.

Only traditional, open iron sighted muzzle loading firearms; peeps are allowed under the condition you mark your target so I know you used a peep. (Tracking it) NO Cannons. Percussion, flintlock or matchlock ignition only. Pistol will be in their own class. Cap and Ball revolvers are OK.

Single patched round ball only. No restrictions on caliber. (a patchless ball may be used if so desired)

Shots shall be taken off-hand at the stated distance. Standing or seated is allowed, elbows unsupported by anything other than the shooters torso. In the event that a member is not physically able to hold his rifle up unsupported, a "prop-rod" that is supported only by the shooters torso, no part of which prop-rod may touch the ground, may be used to hold up the fore-end of the rifle.

Only original targets will be accepted. No copies, faxes, scan, etc. unless you're an overseas participant...
Overseas participants may scan and e-mail me. Just send me a PM through the forum and attache it or I'll give you my e-mail address. As long as I can CLEARLY make the target out I'll accept it.** (I recommend using a dark backing paper when you scan / copy it if possible so that the holes show clearly)

New Rule… Old Eyes - Small Targets, What To Do?
Considering the nature of the event being, a print and mail target and there being no prize other than bragging rights, the object is to encourage shooters to shoot and share their results, whatever they may be, in hopes we can all learn a bit. In September 2020 shoot participants overwhelmingly voted to adjust the rules to allow adding color to the target(s) to add contrast to better see the intended point of impact. This can be done at the individual shooters desire, this is optional.
Note: This may not be necessary with all targets but it has been adopted as a standing rule.

Pistol Class:
For those who would like, you can shoot one target with long gun and one with pistol. Please mark your target accordingly.

Scoring is indicated on the target. Center ring with X is 10. Outer ring is 9.
Only one shot per bull will be counted.
Miss the target object = 0

How close is close enough? Over half the ball must penetrate inside the scoring ring to be counted at the highest value. In other words, the ring in which the majority of the ball hits the target will be the score value. The center of the shot placement on the target will be determined by the judge. Judges decisions are final.

Fire 6 shots only, misses count! Mutilated targets or targets with more than 6 holes will be disqualified. If you have any questions, suggestions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact me.

Mail your target, postmarked no later than April 30th, to:
Marc Smith
1900 Parkway Drive
Casper, WY 82609
Attn: April Target

If you don’t mind sharing I would also like to know what you’re shooting. Include type of firearm, caliber, ball diameter, patch thickness, lube, powder type and grains used, barrel length and twist rate. This isn’t required I’m just the curious sort.

Thanks for shooting and Godspeed ladies & gentleman!!
MSmith

Attachments

• Lyon Target.pdf
    462 KB · Views: 302
This looks interesting! If the weather holds this weekend I'll give it a go with the rifle. Still waiting on a roundball order for my new harpers ferry, i hope they show up soon!

Chris

The weather here was fine for shooting and thus I hauled myself to the range to have at that lion. (The one pictured is the best of the 3 targets I fired at.) In my case it wasn't a matter of seeing those bulls, but hitting them. To wit., the Investarms/Lyman primitive rear sight that I added to my Mowrey rifle years ago was loose in its dovetail + the sight picture wasn't as crisp as I prefer. The red dots, which I found at the range didn't really help in case you're wondering, but I had to try something to get closer to the scoring rings. Btw, when I got home a little while ago, I removed the Investarms sight and reinstalled the original rear sight (~2" longer sight radius), which is adjustable for elevation and drift adjustable for windage. Now I'll have to resight @ 50 yd. to see whether the T/C Renegade front sight plays nicely with the original rear sight. In the mean time, good luck with this month's target!

Attachments

• IMG_6401.jpeg
    IMG_6401.jpeg
    99.5 KB · Views: 116
Ok Mr. Smith here we go. Got to the range this morning at 8am; snowed last night and was 11F when I got there, warmed up to 15F by the time I left. But no wind that early and that's what I wanted. Sun is not ideal at that time as it comes up behind the boards and to the right a little but it was high enough that I could see ok.

Only took 7 lead balls with me, 1 for a practice shot on a little 1" target I stuck to the board (I missed it, shot just a little high)....Pressure!

On to the Lion: 25 yds off hand, 50 grains of Triple 7 2f. .490 ball with .015 patch. This was a tough target for sure. I did put little splash dots on the bullseye and that seemed to help. Pedersoli Frontier .50 cal, original sights.

Best I could do today. The good, the bad and the ugly. Need to hold longer after it goes boom. Bad habit I have. Will pop it in the mail this week. Thanks for the challenge! :)
RR
April 2021 Comp Target 25 yds.jpeg.jpg Apr 2021 Frontier .50.jpeg.jpg

Shot mine this Afternoon, I must say I didnt fully appreciate how small those bulls were til I was standing in my pasture with a 20mph wind blowing me around! My trusty flinter hangfired on the center bull and I practicallly landed on top of my previos shot at the lower left bull, I couldnt have done that on purpose if I tried. I had to stop and walk down range cause from where I was standing i thought I'd missed the whole dang piece of paper! Oh well, at least the headshot killed the beast!

Ill get my target in the mail monday and if my dang .570 balls would show up i'll shoot a pistol target too.

Chris
20210410_182633.jpg

Ranchroper, Agreed! I shoot eggs offhand at 25yds for fun. Its funny how your mind locks up when you have to do something as simple as shooting paper! Keep telling myself to stop trying so hard and just shoot the dang thing! Course seeing a dang good target posted already sure adds to that.....🤔

Chris

half way through my target. the jerk behind the trigger jerked on the center bull.
RR if you are using the pole in the picture i call foul! you need to add at least a yard to the distance for barrel length! 😁 nice shootin!
finished. need more shooting!!!

Attachments

• 20210415_111230.jpg
    20210415_111230.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 20210415_111218.jpg
    20210415_111218.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:
Back