• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Appropiate way to replace an incorrect cheek piece inlay

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I inherited an early style Lancaster rifle and am trying to make the best choices to repair the inleted area left after removing it. Originally, the builder inleted an oval german silver federal eagle, which I know is incorrect on style rifle. Does anyone know if an appropiate "filler" for the hole left when the eagle flew away might be a bone inlay with scrimshaw hunter's star. The oval left after the eagle departed is a bit too large for a silver hunter's star. Studying historical examples is a great idea but I thought with the vast knowledge base in this forum someone may have a helpful answer to this question. FB83CC41-4BCE-4CF3-BE3A-AAA214A00E56.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve not seen bone on a Lancaster gun.

My choice would be to get or make a bigger star. On a couple of Oerter’s rifles the star wraps up over the comb a bit. Not Lancaster but could look good.

the oval is likely too big for just a plain star, unless you want to make it really huge, and wrap it over the comb. That would be a most unusual feature on a Lancaster. A couple of Lehigh makers did that (Moll, Kuntz) but I'm not aware of any Lancasters. What would work nicely though is an oval with piercings, and a star (or some other design) inside it. You'll need to add / splice in some wood for the piercings, But because it's not contiguous with the rest of the stock, it shouldn't be too noticeable (so long as you stay with the same species).

Depending on how deep the engraving is, you might be able to even use the same piece of metal, but a safer bet is to just use it as a template to cut out something new.

Of coarse, you know the whole stock is going to need refinishing don't you?

Thanks for the reply! All good suggestions. I will have to reshape things anyhow and whoever the “Master Builder” was, he made many mistakes. The oil finish was applied and re-applied to quickly and is somewhat “sticky” to the touch. Has to be stripped anyway. The good thing is that the wood, fittings, lock are good quality. The barrel has concentric ring scratches scattered about so it is off to see Mr. Hoyt this morning. I have no idea how somone did that.

Back