• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

applying gun oil on barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erhunter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I purchased a rice barrel and I am going to build the rifle this winter, should I apply a light coat of gun oil on the barrel (finger prints are starting to show). Will this affect the browning procedure? I have purchased the Chambers finishing kit and it has a degreaser/browning agent in it.

You can but it won't effect anything as you'll still have to draw file the barrel before finishing.

I personally wrap my barrels in protective paper when not working with them.

Apply a thin film of a good CPC and buff the prints off if you so wish, but again you'll still need to finish the barrel by draw filing so any imperfections will be removed.

Don't worry about it. Drawfile your barrel, degrease and brown when you are ready. If browning and you decide to sand the barrel (which really isn't necessary), don't go much further than 220 - polished barrels don't like to brown...

Light oiling would be OK for now. I draw file my barrels befor inletting to get a closer fit then sand the exposed surfaces after wards. 220 to 320 grit finish suits me for browning and 400 grit for bluing. Degrease well just before applying any finish, I wear rubber gloves and prefer hot soapy water then rinse well.

When I receive the bbl, it and the blank are sent to Rase and nothing is done to the bbl. Upon receiving it back, no anti rust is applied and stays that way until ready to brown. Then it's draw filed, etc.

While serving my apprenticeship, I saw that some apprentices and toolmakers had acid hands and that steel they touched rusted. If you have acid hands then the steel parts should have a coat of anti rust oil on them....if not, not a concern.....Fred

:metoo: This is what I do also and have had barrels sitting in the corner of my den for over 10 years waiting for the right build with no ill effect. I did buy a 1861 Springfield from someone with "acid" hands that has their finger prints on it. I will be removing their prints when I get around to it at some time in the future :wink:

While I agree with the others that oiling the barrel now will protect it and the browning agent you have says it is a degreaser, I recommend wiping the outside of the barrel with a good oil remover before you start the browning process.

Good oil removers are Denatured Alcohol, MEK, Acetone, Lacquer Thinner and Automotive Disk Brake Cleaners which is probably the best.

Both browning and bluing are rusting processes so you won't want anything on the steel that will hinder rusting.

My procedures for browning include draw filing, polishing and scrubbing with detergent in boiling hot water until I am sure that ALL grease and oil have been removed and then scrubbing some more. Some guns I have made I have polished the metal parts (including the barrels)to 600 grit followed by Tripoli polish on a muslin wheel. I have never had trouble getting a high-polished article to properly rust.

I just watched a video by Jim Kibler on drawfiling a barrel. I believe he stated that drawfiling was all that needed to be done prior to browning or bluing.

After draw filing and a light rub w/ 220 grit paper to remove the corner burrs, both of which are done just before browning, a wipe w/ mineral spirits, a wash w/ Dawn, a hot rinse and it's a go.

LMF browning is a very strong agent and during the browning process, I don't take precautions asre handling.

When the browning is completed, a couple of "washes" w/ ammonia shuts the process down......Fred

Back