• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Apple pie filling (Zucchini)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buickmarti

32 Cal.
Reaction score
not really camp food but you will fool a lot of people with this recipe.

"Chopped zucchini is cooked with lemon juice and spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg."
INGREDIENTS:
8 cups peeled, chopped zucchini
2/3 cup lemon juice
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
6 tbsp butter, chilled

DIRECTIONS:
1.In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir zucchini and lemon juice until zucchini is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg and cook one minute more. Remove from heat and set aside.
2.In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir all of butter mixture into zucchini mixture.

My ex wife made zucchini cookies, muffins, bread and cake. I couldn't get past the bits of green goo in the stuff. I can't imagine the seeds in a mock apple pie. Years ago, I saw a recipe for a mock apple pie that used crackers. We just use the ninja method of getting rid of excess zucchini. Dress all in black and go at night leaving shopping bags of of zucchini on neighbor's front porches. Our pumpkins and apples are already coming in. Although I prefer to use butternut squash for pumpkin baked goods.

How is this not camp food?

So you let the zucchini get really BIG, and then you harvest and cut the seed section out, which gives you enough remaining squash-flesh to make the mock apple portion.

You can add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to the lemon juice and get a much more apple like flavor.

I like to make zucchini pickles, myself, when I have extra fruits

LD

Wife uses zucchini when making bread, One of her hobbies is baking and collecting recipes, I will pass this on to her.

DIRECTIONS:
1.In a large saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir zucchini and lemon juice until zucchini is tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Stir in 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and nutmeg and cook one minute more. Remove from heat and set aside.
2.In a large bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir all of butter mixture into zucchini mixture.

Where is the rest of the recipe, it stopped in the middle of step 2?

DIRECTIONS:

Where is the rest of the recipe, it stopped in the middle of step 2?
after step 2 you have pie filling or crisp filling with a crust of your choice. if you had one of those campfire pie maker you use with bread it would work also.

On Zucchini any over 6 inches long belongs to our chickens. Wife made Zucchini bread from the scapings of a couple of big ones kindda like banana bread. Now she uses just bananas.

My sister used to make a baked Zucchini with a meat and spaghettis sauce and cheese it was ok for the stuffing but not the squash. But that is just my taste buds in action

after step 2 you have pie filling or crisp filling with a crust of your choice. if you had one of those campfire pie maker you use with bread it would work also.

The wife says thank you and she said the recipe is a keeper.

How is this not camp food?

So you let the zucchini get really BIG, and then you harvest and cut the seed section out, which gives you enough remaining squash-flesh to make the mock apple portion.

LD
I do. And then stuff them with hot Italian sausage or andouille sausage and bell peppers. We always raise a few "stuffers" up this way just for the purpose.. Good on a rainy night with creole onion soup. Not that French stuff.

I do. And then stuff them with hot Italian sausage or andouille sausage and bell peppers. We always raise a few "stuffers" up this way just for the purpose.. Good on a rainy night with creole onion soup. Not that French stuff.

The soup recipe looks really good, going to have to try it.

I’d like having a neighbor like that.

I remember reading about a town where getting rid of extra summer squash was like a town wide practical joke and prankster event. Mayor came out to his car to find a few bushel in his car. A minister found a wall of zucchini across his kitchen porch, etc. One fellow found his sidewalk had been paved with zucchinie (ala the yellow brick road. )

We may eat a half dozen a year. Now butternut squash is another thing entirely. Can go through dozens of those. Baked, fried, roasted, pureed, stuffed with sausage for a main dish or stuffed with brown sugar and cinnamon for dessert.

Latest posts

Back