• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Apartment Longrifle Transportation?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is scary to live in such a place. I had the problem in Elyria Ohio long ago when kids broke in and stole some items but not any guns. They seen them of course as I had no safe. I figured they would come back so I wired the house with an alarm system and when it went off the neighbor came out with a shotgun. Turns out the one kid was the son of the builder and took the keys for every house. Now I live in the WV country with my own range everyone shoots on and nobody dares come around so I can leave the house open. Every one around me shoots all the time and crime is so low it is no concern.
I know it will be tough but to rent is a waste of money in the worst way. The money should be a house payment. After we married we lived upstairs at my mothers house free but bought a house quick. Moved a few times to better and got laid off to come to WV, near Harpers Ferry, little town of Bakerton. 10 acres and my own range. Rates dropped and we refinanced for 15 years and doubled house payments so it was paid off long, long ago. We do not have a single dime of debt even with just retirement and SS.
My best advice is to get out of debt as fast as you can, own your own home so you don't make another rich. Yes I had to drive 100 miles a day back and forth to work at Dulles for United Airlines but today I am free. Never buy in a builders community with a house 2' from you, get out farther. Get a little land. Learn to fix and do everything so you don't have to pay. I suppose I have saved a million dollars in my life. Consider going out of state if taxes eat you up or restriction are harsh. I looked for a house in VA when I had to move but gave that up fast and told the realtor to take me across the border. Stay away from home owners associations.

45man, I agree renting is usually not the way to go, but much depends on someones work situation. If you have to move every year or two, then buying can be a losing proposition. It is hard to make back selling/buying costs along with the possibility the market moves against you after you buy. When a person is settled and it looks like they will be in a place 4-5 years or longer, then buy makes sense in most cases.

Smokey's situation makes buying a poor choice at this time. I've done both(renting and buying) depending on job situation and the local market situation.

With firearms, I live in a pretty secure area with my closest neighbor being a gun nut too. Still, I don't make a show of moving them from the house to the truck when leaving. I also don't have any decals on my truck which identify me as a gun owner or enthusiast. I leave that to the college students and others in my community. My property as others often say is protected by S&W along with other items, but I don't advertise it.

The only signs visible at my home front say that you agree to being taped and that electronic surveillance is active on my property. And no stickers on any vehicles nor on or around the home anywhere. I don't even have one that says property protected by Smith and Wesson. Don't want to let anyone know that I have any weapons. I used to hang a practice grenade on my rear view mirror but that caused to many stops to see if it was real. It was the old pineapple type WWII grenade.

I just hate to see ya rent when owning a home is the preferred way to go. I know I had to rent when I was in school (college) and after graduation my wife and I finally were able to purchase a house. I wish ya well, Smokey, and keep yer powder dry.

Don't they sell large tubes for surveying equipment? You could also make a tube out of pvc. Just walk out with the tube and your shooting gear in a Pelican case while wearing an orange vest and a hard hat. I would think they would be less likely to break into someone's home to steal work related items.

I use a soft case for carrying skis. The case is big enough that I can carry my 1842 rifled musket along with two or three other long muskets in gun socks so they don't mar each other.

Smokey, many good ideas have been presented. Renters insurance is a must. We had a house fire once while renting and it was a God send when replacing everything.
I had a friend in the same situation. His solution was to rent a small closet size storage unit. He put a big safe in it and ran lag bolts through in to the wall studs. Then he had long several PVC pipes to carry his guns in. He put PVC end caps on them. One end glued and the other with a screw out piece. He did not put any kind of handle on them not even a rope. He said "if it has a handle, then it is more than a PVC pipe". As mentioned before, he put the guns in a gun sock before placing in the tube. I hope this gives you some more ideas.

Back