• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Apartment Longrifle Transportation?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For your shooting stuff, go to a thrift shop and get a second hand soft sports bag or back pack. Something that looks well used, but is heavy enough to carry stuff. An off brand soft tool bag would work, but don't buy a "Snap-On" or Dewalt. Those attract as much attention as a shooting bag.

I like the golf bag idea. :)

With most of the clubs removed there should be plenty of room for the butt of the gun down in there and putting a cloth bag over the end of the barrel where it is sticking out will make it look like you have a "Super Driver" for those 500 yard drives.

The only downside is someone might get the idea that you have sunken to the level of a person who actually plays the game of golf. :D:D

(That was a joke guys. That was a joke.)

I gave up golf when I was 19. I figured that if that's as good as I can do while in the prime of life, things could only go downhill from there. I never broke 100 and, besides, hunting is sooo much more fun.

Friends, I’ve read all replies and have many options to consider. I understand fishing rods could be targeted for theft as well, but it does seem a handy option. I might smear some dirt on a case to make it look grungy and use one of my old tackle boxes for shooting supplies. I found this fly rod case that looks promising:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/guide-gear-70396-five-rod-and-reel-case?a=1594206

Has a Velcro adjustable strap for different length rods, up to 7 1/2” so should be plenty long. The rear section looks big enough to enclose the buttstock and lock area. If the lock doesn’t fit I could always remove it and carry it separate and just put it back in at the range...

Not ideal at all, but guys this is where I’m at for the next year or longer. Good apartments are tough to find within driving distance to base (I’m here on military orders) and those with attached garages are outrageous. It is what it is, and I thank you all so much for the ideas and continued support as I explore this hobby!

If you insist on the fly rod case... I'd suggest getting renter's insurance and a rider for the long rifle... also record the serial number... the police will need it to enter it in TCIC/NCIC. If it doesn't have a SN, stamp one (or your name) on the bottom barrel flat.
Actually, that's a good idea period.

With a few old clubs and a "long club";)
That would be a "chin putter",

Sam-Torrance-and-his-long-putter-red.jpg

Firstly let me say that this all seems somewhat foreign to me. I understand the concern for sure, but with that concern (paranoia??) would it not stand to reason that you could never own anything nice? or of value? As was stated previously, if there is known value then you will be targeted. Why? Why does it take known value? Everyone’s home has value within, even without owning a long gun, so every home is a target regardless. I guess the only difference is attracting the attention vs random??
Anyhow, if it was me, I would not do any of this at all. This is not a permanent home so I would save all the effort, money and space things such as golf bags with clubs would eat up. I would clean and polish my long gun and put it in warm, safe and trusted storage until my situation changed. I would then spend that money on a simple, used hooked tang muzzleloader that is short (CVA, Traditions, Renegade, etc) 24”-26” bbl in same caliber and remove the barrel for transport. Put everything into a backpack or suitcase when headed to the range and nothing stands out! Once the living situation changes, sell it and recoup your money.
Walk

Firstly let me say that this all seems somewhat foreign to me. I understand the concern for sure, but with that concern (paranoia??) would it not stand to reason that you could never own anything nice? or of value? As was stated previously, if there is known value then you will be targeted. Why? Why does it take known value? Everyone’s home has value within, even without owning a long gun, so every home is a target regardless. I guess the only difference is attracting the attention vs random??
Anyhow, if it was me, I would not do any of this at all. This is not a permanent home so I would save all the effort, money and space things such as golf bags with clubs would eat up. I would clean and polish my long gun and put it in warm, safe and trusted storage until my situation changed. I would then spend that money on a simple, used hooked tang muzzleloader that is short (CVA, Traditions, Renegade, etc) 24”-26” bbl in same caliber and remove the barrel for transport. Put everything into a backpack or suitcase when headed to the range and nothing stands out! Once the living situation changes, sell it and recoup your money.
Walk

We are talking about living in the modern era, not in the time our long rifles and muzzle loading guns represent.

My grandfather, rest his soul, was born in 1890, and NEVER locked his front door. He didn't even have a key.

That ended in the late 70s, after 2 thieves, who knew he didn't lock his doors, came in while he was at church, and stole everything they could, including his father's double barrel muzzle loader, an 1886 Winchester, a German P38, a flare gun, (both brought back by my uncle), and several other guns.

Today, it's safe to say we are ALL TARGETS. Look at the evening news to confirm that. But the are Hard Targets and Soft Targets.

The soft-target may lock his doors when he leaves the house, but he has NRA and Pro Hunting bumper stickers. He proudly displays his wealth, including firearms, for everyone to see. Heck, he's probably sitting in his house with the front door unlocked.

The hard target locks his doors, doesn't advertise his possessions or wealth, leaves the porch light on, doesn't park in the street...etc,etc,etc.

Criminals pick Soft Targets, and walk past the Hard ones.
It's like a business to them... maximize profits while reducing overhead, (jails,hospitals, court, etc.).

I've worked Many home burglaries while the people were HOME, or in the back yard. I had to ask, how did they get in? Thru the front door was usually the answer.

I'm a trained professional Master Peace Officer, but my front door stays LOCKED 24/7. I'm not paranoid, I've got 23 years of first hand knowledge in how ruthless society can be.

A cardboard box from Home Depot's trash can is pretty cheap, and doesn't take much space.

I have been in your situation, and know exactly what you are talking about. A cardboard box is fine, but wears out fast. As already mentioned, I wrapped mine in an old wool blanket with a couple of ties to keep it wrapped. I still use old tackle boxes to hold my accessories in, including a brass powder flask, so anyone looking at me would just think I am on a fishing trip.

Good luck Smokey! I used to have to do the same thing when I lived in College married housing. I was not about to give up shooting and hunting for the time I was in College. I built my first Southern long rifle with a 42 inch barrel two years before I graduated. Fire arms were not permitted and there were a lot of unscrupulous students always around. I was lucky in that I could park near the door, so like others said I could shuttle my home made wooden case from the door to the truck, in the early morning light. Early morning and right around noon seamed like the times with the least people around.

Thank you for putting up with the manure in order to serve your country! And keep the riffraff just as safe as the good folks

Black, twin bed size sheets work great for covering firearms in vehicles with moderate to heavy window tint.

Get a mannequin (or an inflate-a-date), roll it up in a rug along with your gun and leave a little of the blond wig hanging out :eek:. No one will want to get involved. :)
Mess up your hair, spray water on your head to make it look like you're sweating profusely, go into a cleaners and ask, as rapidly as possible and without blinking, "Can you get blood out of a rug? Like a lot of blood?" Throw in some maniacal giggles and twitch a lot. ~ some stand-up comic in the '80s

And I've got a *clean*, amusing story about an inflatable doll if y'all want to hear it.

Good luck with whatever you do Smokey and another thanks for your service. I will give a times two on the renters insurance. It usually isn't that expensive and get a rider for your firearms if basic coverage isn't enough. Also, a rider for extra liability isn't a bad idea either. Just the old guy talking here.

Back