• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone winter camping?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took my tent on my Idaho deer hunt last week. I pitched it with snow on the ground and it snowed all night.

I took along this diesel heater that I picked up for $150. The heater, group 24 battery, a gallon of fuel and the duct fit in a tote.

My tent stayed 70* and I used about 3/4 of a quart of fuel in 14 hours of heating.
Screenshot_20231110-184532_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231110-184602_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231110-184501_Gallery.jpg
20231110_050902.jpg

This thread has been around for almost three years. I probably replied and told my tale already some time ago, but I don't remember. So, here goes...

I'm a hunter, first, last, always. When I was younger, I camped. From the sub-artic of northern Quebec to the deserts of Arizona, I camped. I had many wonderful adventures, but one winter camp stands out.

Deer season in Michigan opens on November 15th each year. (at least it did, don't know now) One year in the mid-90's my pardner, Paul, and I went to hunt the McCormack Wilderness in the upper peninsula of Michigan. 9 miles in on a logging road to the trail head. Then a 3 mile hike on foot to the lake and the hemlock swamp where we intended to hunt.

We got there the day before the opening, hiked in and set up a half-faced, lean-to camp. We cut firewood and prepared to stay awhile. We both have snowshoes, but if any snow was to be expected that early in the season, we figured it wouldn't be much. So, the snowshoes stayed home.

That night the temperature dropped, the wind blew strong, and the snow fell. On opening morning we woke to a foot of the white stuff on the ground. We stoked up the campfire and got breakfast. Then, we went out to hunt. Paul went one way, and I another. The snow continued to fall and the wind blew. It was freezing!

Back at camp that evening, neither of us had seen a thing, not even a fresh track. The snow was deeper and still coming down. We built up the fire, cooked dinner and sat around for several hours before climbing into our sleeping bags.

The blizzard raged all night. The next day was mostly a repeat of the first, except the snow was now over two feet deep on the level.

A third night in our open-faced camp. Good cold weather sleeping bags kept us snug. The blizzard continued.

The next morning the snow was nearly waist deep. I told Paul; "We have to get out of here." We packed up our meager camp and started out. We took turns breaking trail. In some places the snowdrifts were over our heads. We wallowed through it. It took us most of the day to make it the 3 miles back to our trucks.

Of course, our trucks looked just like mounds of snow. We dug them out. My truck was only a 2-wheel drive, but Paul had a Ford 250 4-wheel drive. With a tow strap we hooked my truck behind his and we headed out down the snow-bound logging road. We were lucky that Paul's truck was able to plow through the snowdrifts while towing me in my truck. We made it back to the paved road and were glad to find that it had been plowed. Down the road in Ishpeming we stopped in a restaurant for dinner before heading back home to southern Michigan.

This thread has been around for almost three years. I probably replied and told my tale already some time ago, but I don't remember. So, here goes...

I'm a hunter, first, last, always. When I was younger, I camped. From the sub-artic of northern Quebec to the deserts of Arizona, I camped. I had many wonderful adventures, but one winter camp stands out.

Deer season in Michigan opens on November 15th each year. (at least it did, don't know now) One year in the mid-90's my pardner, Paul, and I went to hunt the McCormack Wilderness in the upper peninsula of Michigan. 9 miles in on a logging road to the trail head. Then a 3 mile hike on foot to the lake and the hemlock swamp where we intended to hunt.

We got there the day before the opening, hiked in and set up a half-faced, lean-to camp. We cut firewood and prepared to stay awhile. We both have snowshoes, but if any snow was to be expected that early in the season, we figured it wouldn't be much. So, the snowshoes stayed home.

That night the temperature dropped, the wind blew strong, and the snow fell. On opening morning we woke to a foot of the white stuff on the ground. We stoked up the campfire and got breakfast. Then, we went out to hunt. Paul went one way, and I another. The snow continued to fall and the wind blew. It was freezing!

Back at camp that evening, neither of us had seen a thing, not even a fresh track. The snow was deeper and still coming down. We built up the fire, cooked dinner and sat around for several hours before climbing into our sleeping bags.

The blizzard raged all night. The next day was mostly a repeat of the first, except the snow was now over two feet deep on the level.

A third night in our open-faced camp. Good cold weather sleeping bags kept us snug. The blizzard continued.

The next morning the snow was nearly waist deep. I told Paul; "We have to get out of here." We packed up our meager camp and started out. We took turns breaking trail. In some places the snowdrifts were over our heads. We wallowed through it. It took us most of the day to make it the 3 miles back to our trucks.

Of course, our trucks looked just like mounds of snow. We dug them out. My truck was only a 2-wheel drive, but Paul had a Ford 250 4-wheel drive. With a tow strap we hooked my truck behind his and we headed out down the snow-bound logging road. We were lucky that Paul's truck was able to plow through the snowdrifts while towing me in my truck. We made it back to the paved road and were glad to find that it had been plowed. Down the road in Ishpeming we stopped in a restaurant for dinner before heading back home to southern Michigan.
That's an amazing tale! You two were lucky to get out of there!

I went after bull back in 1978 with my best buddy. We went down a hill into a nice place and pitched the tent and did things young dumb guys do and woke up with the tent collapsed on us and 18" of wet heavy snow. The weather was WRONG and nothing predicted. Thank the Lord to this day we took his little 4wd Toyota instead of my 2wd Sierra. We had fun and stayed warm. It's all about your sleeping bag and staying dry.

My old boss and his former pressman went a lot back in the early 70's. They would snowshoe in about 2-3 miles and set up. This was at like 9000 feet on the San Francisco peaks. One time the young guy got appendicitis and they had to hike out in the dark in a snowstorm and he had surgery that evening! Next day I was asked to go help the boss break camp and pack their stuff out. I was just a paperboy back then (I moved into the pressroom later). I also still thank the Lord my Ma wouldn't let me go! I tried snow showing as a teen with a girl that could drink a submarine full of sailors under the table and I know for a fact the next few days are AGONY after the hot buttered rum wears off! The young guy was super fit, I don't think I could walk (snowshoe) out in a snowstorm in the dark with that pain! I did get to go with them later as a teen and we went duck hunting at Marshall Lake (google, it is SUPER pretty). Broke the ice a few times in the AM to set decoys and learned how to cook "Bill Smiths Grease Ball Eggs". Thats where you fry 2 lbs of bacon and drop the eggs in the grease! Oh to be young again.

After a fiew winter camps in Pa. deer season with my huntin' buddy , and our two boys ,I knew I was gettin too old for such stuff , so built a camp , and never looked back. Heat , beds , bottomless pots of spring water coffee , and a place to share with friends. So many blessed memories.

Back