• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone used 45 conical on deer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barrels are made to do it. GM has made them for years called the LRH not any new ones however.
Rice makes 4140CM steel, Fast Twist, drop-in barrels for Thompson/Center rifles in 15/16" octagon and 1" octagon. The 15/16" is only available in .45 caliber, but the 1" is available in both .45 & .50 calibers. Standard rates of twist are 1:20" for .45 caliber & 1:24" for .50 caliber. Jason will change the rate of twist if you request for it. Idaholewis has Rice Fast Twist .45 caliber barrels in 1:14", 1:17", & 1:20" rates of twist.

The barrels come with a CNC machined percussion snail drum breech plug with a hook to match the T/C tang. There is no clean-out screw in the snail. The underrib is installed on the barrel, and the ramrod pipes are installed on the underrib. The underlug is installed on the barrel for the barrel key. The barrel comes with Williams front and rear sights mounted.

The barrels are sold in the white, which requires that the customer provide for bluing, or browning. They can be, but are most often not a perfect drop-in fit, so a small amount of work may be required to get a perfect fit.

Cost is $375.00

Rice Muzzleloading Barrel Company
1-336-492-2614

I’d like to try these out.
Rb shoots just fine from my TC 45 Hawken but it’s nice to see I have other options in case I go for larger game.

CF96745D-19A7-4694-A719-44CEB8F03FF6.jpeg

Round ball not legal for deer in my state any more in 45, conicals only.
70 grains of BP pushing a 405 grain .457 diameter lead, conical projectile was once a standard military load, and some of the modern guys still use it for big game, even today. Something like a 200 or 250 grain REAL bullet will do for hunting. The heavy .45 bullet once used by the military was to maintain inertia at much longer than hunting distances.

LEE 200 gr REAL Bullet Mold

LD

I don't know about the bullets shewn but I found a' TC Maxi ' bullet of 50 cal works better than a ball , Its plum ugly but seems to much improuve accuracy . I've had it years I think they would have made a 45 cal option I never owned a rifle of that make . .Then on the same theme I have found the Lyman short 58 Pistol ? bullet with its hollow base pronounced cannelure and stepped Conical nose blunt ended much improuves the 58 cals notably an old orig two grouve percussion I had years , pitch of 1 in 60" more consistant than the belted ball. .Allways pays to try things out. These revelations are all based on 55 yards shooting since that is as long a range as is likely in NZ forests' Where 30 yards is more likely What you will find on the wide plains of Alberta I can't but guess . But good luck to you I was always comfortable in Alberta .
Regards Rudyard

Latest posts

Back