• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone use 777 Powde for Revolvers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curt LaManna

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got in my Walker Colt and would like to know if anyone uses 777 Pistol in one? I was reading up online about 1 guy that said it's a lot cleaner than fffg for revolvers.
Thank you!

AZ Longrifle said:
I just got in my Walker Colt and would like to know if anyone uses 777 Pistol in one? I was reading up online about 1 guy that said it's a lot cleaner than fffg for revolvers.
Thank you!

I tried it just the one time in my second-series Walker. I used the 40gr nozzle [trimmed to hold 40gr of FFg BP, that is] as a volumetric measure plus enough filler to stuff an elephant.

Needs loading with care as it does NOT like to be compressed and it was VERY sharp and not at all nice to shoot.

I'll stick to black, thanks.

tac
Supporter of the Cape Meares Lighthouse Restoration Fund

AZ

I use it in my pistols, but I reduce it a bit. I use 20 grains in the 1851 Navy and 25 in the 1860 Army but I use a full 30 in the 1858 Remington. Load the powder, put down a wonder wad and seat the ball. Very accurate, very consistent. The wonder wad helps to minimize compression which screws with consistency.

Black powder is better for less careful loading, due to its properties and it only takes a little bit of at the bench maintenance to keep one shooting for an afternoon.

To each his own. I like to shoot all sorts of guns and use real black in some, and 777 in others.

Dan

If it doesn't smell like sulfur. It's not black powder.

777 was made for modern inxxxx rifles, so they could get magnum loads.

C&B revolvers should shoot what they were designed to shoot. Black powder.

Yes, i'm biased and will stay that way.

I use both 777 and black(but not mixed together) in my hand guns, they vary in types and caliber from .31 deringers to .36 Navies and S&B to .44 colt's, remy's, and R&S. I find that the trip7 shoots a bit cleaner and can get more cylinder loads out per shooting session without cleaning than pure BP.

:thumbsup: DITTO!

Using 777 in a revolver reminds me of the phrase, "Hold my beer while I try this!"

I think that excessive wear is the result, and that most (not the folks here) shooters that use the stuff are just trying to get more speed from the powder. "Not compressing it" is a little too vague for me, since I use a loading stand and compress every black powder charge that I pour.

Dave

I use it in my ROA's. Just because it's hotter, doesn't mean it's going to do any harm. It's like Swiss, you just back off on the charge, and all is well.
Is it any better or worse? I don't think so. It's just that I shoot at an indoor range, and it doesn't seem to throw sparks like black, and it doesn't smoke quite as much.
As far as the compression thing, I don't know, I've never worried about it. I do use a filler, so maybe that helps.

I know you use cereal. That automatically translates to using LESS 777. I'm primarily concerned with some yahoo fillin 'er up and just squeezin' a ball into the chamber mouths with as much pressure as it takes!

If 777 doesn't throw sparks, doesn't quite smoke the same, etc., it appears to have taken on the look & feel of smokeless. Maybe that's why the outside of the bottle says not to compress it too much--too much pressure will cause a spike of firing pressure and do some damage. Thus my comment, "Here, hold my beer while I try this!"

Dave

I ruined a '51 Navy using a cylinder full behind a ball when 777 first came out.......I was getting 1100 fps or so with the 80gr ball............Shot a few cylinders of it then took it down for cleaning and the cylinder pin was wobbling in the frame.

Now see, that's just like taking a 30-06 case, and filling it up with Bullseye powder. You need to know a bit about reloading before you kill yourself, or somebody close by.

Thank you, Gents.
I think I'll stick to 2F & 3F BP to be safe.
Especially, with a Revolver known to split cylinders with hot loads!
I was informed to use 2F for max loads in the Walker model. We're talking 55-60 grns.
My standard load will be 50 grn of 3F.
I'll see what load the gun likes best.

50-52 grains of 3Fg Goex, a pre-lubed wonder-wad and a .454 Hornady ball does the trick and wins competitions :wink: . With my 52 grain loading I've already hit a set of Scott Air Tanks at 135 yards with 3 out of 5 shots :haha: strong hand only!

Don't flinch and absorb the blast like a man, and it will just about clover-leaf!

Dave

Capper said:
If it doesn't smell like sulfur. It's not black powder.

777 was made for modern inxxxx rifles, so they could get magnum loads.

C&B revolvers should shoot what they were designed to shoot. Black powder.

Yes, i'm biased and will stay that way.

Yeah,What Capper said! :bow:

There's no law that says you have to use maximum loads. Yes they can be fun. Only you can decide what load shoots the way you want it to, be it lots of smoke, fire, recoil, pain etc., or little groups. Your call.

I've used it in my pistols a few years back and it worked without issue. I didn't notice a bit of difference in cleanup with it vs. black powder. If you left your gun un-cleaned the black would be more corrosive to your pistol. Anyway, I never made the switch and prefer just using plain old black powder. It makes it easier so I don't have to load up so much different types of powder just to go shoot.

R.M. said:
Now see, that's just like taking a 30-06 case, and filling it up with Bullseye powder. You need to know a bit about reloading before you kill yourself, or somebody close by.

Know all I need to know about reloading. Been an intrepid reloader for 30 years and a cap n ball shooter for longer than that. 777 will not blow up a 51 Navy, either a Tally model or an amercian one, but it will stretch it some thats for sure. Then I'm sure it will just blow the barrel down range before the cylinder lets go...............

Leatherbark said:
I ruined a '51 Navy using a cylinder full behind a ball when 777 first came out.......I was getting 1100 fps or so with the 80gr ball............Shot a few cylinders of it then took it down for cleaning and the cylinder pin was wobbling in the frame.

When you say "a cylinder full behind a ball", do you mean chamberful?

Second question is did the '51 navy have a steel or brass frame?

I know when I tried 777 in an 1860 Army, with a shorten barrel, it definitely had a commanding recoil and report.

CP

Using 777 is like using a 209 primer on a caplock.

If you want more power use Swiss.

I can't understand why anyone would want to use modern powder on a traditional gun? Why not go all the way and use an inxxxx too? Scopes mount on them real easy, and you can shoot those funny plastic bullets.

Bah humbug!

Crabby old fart shuffles away.....

Back