• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

anyone use 777 in a .36 cal revolver?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got rid of mine for a .44 just to keep all my pistols the same ball size.

When i shot mine i used a level scoop from a 9mm case i think its about 13g

If i were to shoot it now with T7 ide used a 9mm case of T7 and a 380 full of cream of wheat.

You need to invest in a chronograph. They are indispensable when developing a load for a gun if you really want to know what is going on down range with any given load. If you can't afford one right now, you might check with some of your buddies to see if any of them have one that they will let you use. But, don't be surprised if they balk at lending it because if you can't put a bullet exactly through the detection field without hitting the rods on either side, you will do some serious damage to the chronograph.

I am currently shooting 20 grain loads of pyrodex P, home made paper cartridge under .375 round ball cast from lee mold.
I would expect 777 to be similar.

In my 1851 sheriff I loaded 20 grains 3f 777 under a 130 grain Lee conical for an average velocity of 772fps and 172ft/lbs. pressure. In the same gun I loaded 22 grains of 3f 777 under a 80 grain ball for an average velocity of 753fps and 101 ft./lbs. pressure. The conicals were more accurate. In my .36 cal. Remington I loaded 27 grains of Pyrodex P under a 80 grain ball for an average of 1105 fps and 217 ft./lbs. pressure. Hope this gives you some perspective on 777 performance in a .36 cal. revolver.

Don

I'm quite surprised your 5 additional grains of Pyrodex produced so much more velocity. I'm wondering if your Triple 7 was "tainted" as many believe it loses power after being opened for some time, maybe by humidity?

Triple 7 is erratic stuff. Variances in compression as well as other variables can have a big impact on performance. I doubt mine was tainted, more likely something else caused the strange result. My chronograph could also be a factor. Distance from chrono, ambient temp the day I shot, soot on the screens all could have affected the numbers I got.

Don

When I had my .36 revolver, a friend of mine made me a scoop from a .38 Special case that he cut down to deliver about a 20 grain volume equivalent load of Triple 7, Pyrodex or black powder. I don't know what the actual weight of the powder was because it was a measure that he made specifically for my revolver based on how much powder he used. It worked well for me and I let it along with the revolver when I sold it.

Billnpatti said:
When I had my .36 revolver, a friend of mine made me a scoop from a .38 Special case that he cut down to deliver about a 20 grain volume equivalent load of Triple 7, Pyrodex or black powder. I don't know what the actual weight of the powder was because it was a measure that he made specifically for my revolver based on how much powder he used. It worked well for me and I let it along with the revolver when I sold it.

I use a 40 S&W shell because its short and fat. The 2 i use is the 40 and 45ACP

I used a scale the other day and weighed a level scoop from teh 40 of Ty 3F and it showed 17g and the 45acp shell measured 22g

I read that a level scoop from the 40 is supose to be like 19 and the 45acp 26g buy they didnt weigh that much on a scale.

I wanted to see how accurate my loads were from scoop to scoop. a few times i scooped up 17g and a few times 16.9

I usually scoop it so its heaping then i level it off with a blade. I dont tap it because i think that can change the load.

Don said:
Triple 7 is erratic stuff. Variances in compression as well as other variables can have a big impact on performance. I doubt mine was tainted, more likely something else caused the strange result. My chronograph could also be a factor. Distance from chrono, ambient temp the day I shot, soot on the screens all could have affected the numbers I got.

Don

Yeah i read that and i think that was my problem, i didnt realize that the pack had such a big impact on accuracy. It seems T7 doesnt like to be packed hard or to soft i likes a medium pack.

I had good luck using a wedge in the loading level so that the wedge stops the load lever when it gets to a certain spot.

I think this is why cream of wheat helps so much because it seems to only pack so much then it seems to stop and all the pack seems mild on the powder.

Pyrodex doesnt seem as finiky about its packing neither does goex.

I really like T7 so im willing to struggle with it. I think ive got it about figured out now what it likes and what works with each gun

I haven't noticed accuracy problems when using T7, and I usually compressed the heck out of it. But I have been using Goex's Olde Eynsford, and I think I may have found my powder of choice. It's also a sporting grade powder, but it's far cheaper. I can't seem to find it locally so I order it from Grafs.

A .36 Navy has a brass frame. I'd keep the velocities (and pressures) low so it won't damage the brass frame. 777 is reputed to be ~15% more powerful than BP.

From what ive seen, 36 is listed as navy and 44 as army. Both of my navy 36 cal revolvers has steel frame.

Latest posts

Back