• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone think this would look good on the front of a pietta navy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made a front sight out of brass stock and soldered it onto my New Model Army and it looks great on there. I originally was going to cut a dovetail and use a front sight blank, but my test dovetails on the barrel scraps werent as clean as i liked

Cylinder blurred as not to offend too many folks

Point Blur_Nov202021_083724.jpg

Just be careful when doing the Dovetail if it’s not right they look like manure, ask me I know. Ha Ha.. But really the sights that you picked out will look nice.

I've always thought that taller front sights, 11-degree cut on the forcing cone, and a 3-lb. trigger pull does wonders for these revolvers. They then, shoot where you point them.
I once saw a photo of a .36 Navy that the owner mounted a front sight from a Remington Revolving RIFLE. It actually looked pretty good. But I would think that it would be hard on holsters (?)
It's a bit difficult to come up with a taller front sight that looks at least somewhat period. I was able to put this question to Kenny Howell one time years ago as he had taller front sights he made for conversion customers that looked good and period for both the Army and Navy patterns. And they were made to a height that were right on for 25-yard shooting. So I asked him why he didn't just make castings of his front sights and sell them? He said that he experimented with that. But the tiny castings took at least as much time to finish as milling a sight from scratch from a blank.
Here is an 1860 I own. The front sight was made and installed by (now retired) Jim Stroh (of .45 Auto fame) from an idea I came up with. I intentionally had him leave the base of the sight longer as I wanted that "coverted" type look (I can be strange that way lol). And I knew it could always be shortened later.

Rick
front sight (Medium).jpg
front sight 2 (Medium).jpg
Pietta 1860 Army (Medium).jpg

Back