• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Anyone shooting paper cartridges in 36 & 44 caliber?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that looks like a very good solution, did not know these existed!
Yes very easy to use. put your measured powder charge inside and cork it with your ball.
Ive had a few go threw the washing machine and the powder stayed dry!
Tubes themselves are washable, just put them in one of those net laundry bags and toss it in the washing machine, Let them air dry for a few days.

I have the .44 kit from Guns of the West. Make with round balls and conicals. I use organic hemp blunt papers -- BeeLine. Inexpensive. Fun to make,easy to load and shoot fine.
I have heard of some using a lubed wad inside the cartridge. Supposedly do not need to overgrease the projectile but wonder about the lube messing up the paper. Will prob give a try on a block of 12 next time I play with it...

Is that nitrated paper or just blunt wraps (cigarette paper)?
I used these from a hair salon. They used them to perm hair or something like that. Cheap cheap. Then I nitrate it. Works very well I find.

Attachments

• 20220828_121213.jpg
    20220828_121213.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Several years ago took the plunge and ordered the Eras gone set up complete with former for both calibers and the bullet molds for both calibers.
Still try it once in a while but in my situation of shooting percussion revolvers twice a week on average making the cartridges are just too time consuming and tedious.
I do use the conicals occasionally, but for casual paper punching rounds balls and pre measured tubes of powder just makes more sense.

Attachments

• F6010C9E-D9C4-4BAD-B2F3-755EA883F344.jpeg
    F6010C9E-D9C4-4BAD-B2F3-755EA883F344.jpeg
    802.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DEE1F364-95DE-4973-9844-D549BA651910.jpeg
    DEE1F364-95DE-4973-9844-D549BA651910.jpeg
    450.6 KB · Views: 0
  • A7064757-5811-43CA-97C6-1E186F6550C2.jpeg
    A7064757-5811-43CA-97C6-1E186F6550C2.jpeg
    797.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 815A6E0F-A9C7-4C46-90E7-57A7AF900A7A.jpeg
    815A6E0F-A9C7-4C46-90E7-57A7AF900A7A.jpeg
    680.1 KB · Views: 0
I just love playing around with making paper cartridges for my .31, .36, & .44 caliber revolvers. Time consuming - YES - fun - YES. I also have Eras Gone conical molds for the three caliber guns that I have. The molds cast some nice bullets and they are "fiddley" when making paper cartridges with them. It's all part of the game - FUN. Most of my shooting is with round ball and I have made paper cartridges with the round ball but that is even more of a PITA than the paper cartridge conical bullets to make. If you are looking for easy loading at the range then try paper cartridges with a round ball but I think you will find that loading loose powder & ball will be your best choice :thumb: .
NOTE: Your revolver may not fit a paper cartridge conical bullet under the ram rod of your gun so you will be restricted to shooting a round ball paper cartridge if you decide to shoot paper cartridges. Look for duelist 1954 on YouTube for info on this.

Last edited:
I am looking at trying my hand a paper cartridges for the above calibers. I have looked at several kits online, but I am wondering if anyone on here is making and selling kits for the above?

Also, does anyone use round balls only in the paper cartridges? Since I don't have a conical mold yet for either caliber, I am planning on using round balls only to start with.

Would appreciate any help from the muzzleloader brothers and sisters.
I got tired of the constant mess and time of reloading each chamber with bp, then ball, then greasing and decided on paper cartridges. Looked at several kits, then at buying the loading supplies individually. The initial expense was ridiculous, or at least, I consider it so. Then looked into buying premade cartridges. Since I don't go 'plinking' with my .44 c&b, and use it as my main self-defense weapon, at roughly $1.00 a cartridge isn't all that onerous. Not so bad that I won't practice semi-regularly and just pricey enough that I don't want to go around shooting a tin cans. They, premade paper cartridges can be found on-line from several sources. Just type in 'paper cartridges for black power pistols,' in your search program.

I've been trying, but the tremors I have from Agent Orange back in the 1960's really makes it hard to get everything together correctly! Been using roll-your-own cigarette papers, cut in half. Expecting some conical bullets to arrive very soon. Both for .36 and .44.

Several years ago took the plunge and ordered the Eras gone set up complete with former for both calibers and the bullet molds for both calibers.
Still try it once in a while but in my situation of shooting percussion revolvers twice a week on average making the cartridges are just too time consuming and tedious.
I do use the conicals occasionally, but for casual paper punching rounds balls and pre measured tubes of powder just makes more sense.
I used RAW before I switched to BeeLine -- both are organic hemp with no additives. very thin but strong. I like them both but BeeLine a little cheaper online.
Your last picture looks like the tops are rolled ->??

I used RAW before I switched to BeeLine -- both are organic hemp with no additives. very thin but strong. I like them both but BeeLine a little cheaper online.
Your last picture looks like the tops are rolled ->??
If your referring to the two blocks. The left are finished cartridges, like those in my hand and the right block just the paper tubes. The blocks each have a matching lid with holes that secure the rounds.
Used the raw as that’s what came with the kit.
The tubes as made are for a heeled bullet the round balls set deeper so one can pull the paper up and around a bit tighter. .454 round ball and I think the conicals are .457 or larger.

You know, I guess it all depends on your needs, patience, etc. For me, i enjoy making the cartridges both RB and conical. So it's basically all up to you. Buy the cartridges, make the cartridges, or just reload with loose BP. Whatever you do, make sure you have fun and enjoy.

Yes Sir, duelist 1954 Mike's videos are great and I saw paper cartridges on his videos first. Then watched all the available videos I could find. I have the patience to do it, but just not sure on which kit. I saw on one of Mike's videos that you would have to modify the port to load conical's. That is the main reason I asked about loading round balls, plus I just casted several hundred of .454 and .380. After making some of my own caps yesterday, that takes patience for sure. I have fun doing it and they work, but probably will not make many. Just got back from Walmart and they still don't have caps in, have all the other muzzleloader stuff but no caps or 209's. Since I do not hunt anymore, they will be used for target shooting only. I have to admit that it would be nice to load some and have the original box like they had in the civil war. Just getting my feet wet again after several years. Thanks for all the replies.

Yes Sir, duelist 1954 Mike's videos are great and I saw paper cartridges on his videos first. Then watched all the available videos I could find. I have the patience to do it, but just not sure on which kit. I saw on one of Mike's videos that you would have to modify the port to load conical's. That is the main reason I asked about loading round balls, plus I just casted several hundred of .454 and .380. After making some of my own caps yesterday, that takes patience for sure. I have fun doing it and they work, but probably will not make many. Just got back from Walmart and they still don't have caps in, have all the other muzzleloader stuff but no caps or 209's. Since I do not hunt anymore, they will be used for target shooting only. I have to admit that it would be nice to load some and have the original box like they had in the civil war. Just getting my feet wet again after several years. Thanks for all the replies.
Here is another link to explicit, picture by picture, instructions.....after a while you can shorten the instructions. They are meant for someone that never did this before.

If your referring to the two blocks. The left are finished cartridges, like those in my hand and the right block just the paper tubes. The blocks each have a matching lid with holes that secure the rounds.
Used the raw as that’s what came with the kit.
The tubes as made are for a heeled bullet the round balls set deeper so one can pull the paper up and around a bit tighter. .454 round ball and I think the conicals are .457 or larger.
The image with yellow tubes in a green box

Well I ended up ordering the Guns of the West 36 & 44 kit. Will give it a try when it gets here. Looking forward to seeing how hard it is. I already have cartridge boxes to put them in when made, so that will not be an issue. Thanks for all the help and will update when it gets here.

Many years ago, Dixie Gunworks sold pre-made combustible cartridges in revolver calibers. They were supposed to be like those used during the Civil War and came in a styrofoam block. Tried a few and might have the remainder around here somewhere. That was about 1969 or '70.

I made my own kits out of inexpensive things like plastic paint brush handles from Big Lots for the .44 size and wood dowel for the .36. I use Raw cigarette and curling paper. I also use nitrated paper filters. The tapering bit is from Harbor Freight and is under $4. They all work well at cutting down reloading time at the range but are time consuming to put together. Eras gone has a video about using plastic tubing you cut to size for pre measuring charges to speed up reloading.

115E9784-1EF3-48AC-9345-FB9FFAE12F5B.jpeg
54E187DD-BAC5-42ED-8CB4-08A0D84BAD7F.jpeg
F28AF15E-53A1-45A6-AFD7-E3F38C87F435.jpeg

And this that looks simpler but haven’t tried it yet.

Latest posts

Back