• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Anyone shooting paper cartridges in 36 & 44 caliber?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the round ball paper cartridge in my 44 and it works really good. Very accurate. In my 36 I am using the conical. Harder to make the cartridge as I don't have a heeled bullet mold yet. Seem to just as accurate as it is with the round balls. The paper cartridges are a lot easier and more handy to load in the field. So much faster. Love both ways. Been loading powder and ball since 1968.

Terry Behm in Arizona made some using the tissue paper for grabbing donuts in the bakery section of grocery stores. Paper not nitrated or needs to be. Anyone use the devices that presses six round balls or bullets in the disconnected cylinder? Takes longer but is supposed to put equal pressure on the wad and powder and seat each round the same depth. The company that makes the device has a standard and deluxe versions. Don't recall its name or the prices.

I am looking at trying my hand a paper cartridges for the above calibers. I have looked at several kits online, but I am wondering if anyone on here is making and selling kits for the above?

Also, does anyone use round balls only in the paper cartridges? Since I don't have a conical mold yet for either caliber, I am planning on using round balls only to start with.

Would appreciate any help from the muzzleloader brothers and sisters.
There it is in a nutshell dipping in nitrate solution and rolling table with tubes glued to ball. I make tubes first then with a glue that has a nozzle I run a small bit around tube end and put ball in. Come on it does not take forever and you get used to it

Attachments

• DSCN0158.JPG
    DSCN0158.JPG
    821.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0159.JPG
    DSCN0159.JPG
    831.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0160.JPG
    DSCN0160.JPG
    832.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0152.JPG
    DSCN0152.JPG
    851.6 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0153.JPG
    DSCN0153.JPG
    812.1 KB · Views: 0
I use the .44 kit from Guns of the West. Also use Pyrodex pellets with large 1 1/2" rolling paper. My choice is hemp paper...no need to nitrate
I have conicals but need to lube, roll , and shoot to see if I like better than RBs.

Here's a link: Guns of the West

Paper loads. Dipping in nitrated solution. In and out quickly it gets a good cover dry and shoot. No residue beautiful flash as well impresses the yokels.

Attachments

• DSCN0158.JPG
    DSCN0158.JPG
    821.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0159.JPG
    DSCN0159.JPG
    831.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0160.JPG
    DSCN0160.JPG
    832.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCN0152.JPG
    DSCN0152.JPG
    851.6 KB · Views: 0
I make non-nitrated "1840s Dragoon" style paper cartridges that are basically downsized musket cartridges with a .454 conical and a powder charge

They are convenient for the range , they don't really play well with round balls and after a while I just went back to flask loading

.44 Johnston & Dow bullets waiting for a 50 grain charge
20200227_205828.jpg

Last edited:
I used these from a hair salon. They used them to perm hair or something like that. Cheap cheap. Then I nitrate it. Works very well I find.
Piquant, how many do you nitrate at one time, and do they burn enough cleaner than non-nitrated to make the effort worthwhile? I've been using the same, and they seem to burn pretty cleanly.

Piquant, how many do you nitrate at one time, and do they burn enough cleaner than non-nitrated to make the effort worthwhile? I've been using the same, and they seem to burn pretty cleanly.
I found they burn up completely. I don't find it's a chore to nitrate them. I make what I think I'll need or make at a time. You have to let them dry somewhere and that take space. But they do dry quickly in the right climate.

I am sure that a thin paper burns well. I just use nitrated as I read about that and it insures that all burns up . Plus it adds to flash from muzzle end and it scares the yokels (or impresses the hell out of them lololol). I guess I am a bit obsessive and I have too much time on my hands. I dip them very quick in and out and set them on my styrofoam box (with dents for balls) and they dry in a couple of hours . Or just leave them overnight It does not take too long. Too much spare time.

Latest posts

Back