• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone recognize this stamp on .50 Cal smoothbore barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Picked up a really nicely built flint smoothie pistol recently. The lock is a small Siler but do not recognize the stamp on barrel. Anybody recognize it?

Attachments

• IMG_1345.JPG
    IMG_1345.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_1346.JPG
    IMG_1346.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 95
Looks very much like the same stamp though this pistol is much fancier than the one I have. Even though it is plain the craftsmanship looks good, Was concerned about the barrel and how thin the breech plug is. The one in your picture looks almost identical. Guess I'm used to seeing ones 5/8" long on rifles. Thank you for the info!

Looks very much like the same stamp though this pistol is much fancier than the one I have. Even though it is plain the craftsmanship looks good, Was concerned about the barrel and how thin the breech plug is. The one in your picture looks almost identical. Guess I'm used to seeing ones 5/8" long on rifles. Thank you for the info!
I was advised once by a master machinist friend that if the threading was correctly done, three (3) threads would hold a breechplug at blackpowder pressures in modern steel. He was talking up to 25 -30 thousand psi. The wall of the barrel in the breech area will theoretically fail first, all else being equal. Besides a pistol only needs half or less of a normal rifle charge; any more is mostly wasted anyway.

I worked for a major jet engine manufacturer back in the 60s and pulled a lot of tensile tests on threaded fasteners both male and female. 3 full threads were all that were required for the tests and the fastener would fail elsewhere than the threaded portion. 4 revolutions after the threads engaged gave that and a little more.

Latest posts

Back