• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Anyone Mod Their Walkers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most people seem to want $5 less than retail for used Uberti revolvers :)

Sometimes Dixie has them on sale, they recently had one of the Dragoons marked down

I bet one made from blackened brass would look great.
Would. Main thing is the amount of weight moment it adds too. So the lighter it is the less front weight to deal with. Which is not much but depends on how many rounds you shoot in one sit. Sometimes even a small amount can issue an effect over long period of time. My point is that the material, especially for the top piece, needs to be stout enough you won't get any spreading which will loosen it. So the material needs to be sufficiently hard enough to accommodate thin enough so to not be bulky. Even the one I made looks a bit bulky but it was scrap I had available. I would have preferred more like stainless at half or 1/3 the thickness for aesthetics. Definatly would take brass over aluminum for period but aluminum would provide way less weight moment than brass or ferrous.

I've noticed that if I shoot my Walker one-handed, the lever drops pretty consistently. If I use both hands and control the recoil better, it's never dropped. My typical load is 45gr of Triple7 with 1CC scoop of Cream of Wheat, 1/8" greased felt wad and a .457" roundball. I've probably only shot half of the rounds through the gun myself. I usually give the person next to me a couple of shots to apologize for clouding out the range. :)

A few original Walkers sported a Dragoon loading lever catch and mod to the end of the lever. I have heard Colt did a few but I suspect they were done later in the gun's life. This photo is said to be an original including the holster.View attachment 9439
Correct: although what I've heard through the collector's grapevine is this addition was a gunsmith trick. I obtained an 1860 stud & latch through some BP parts place, & put on my Sam Marco Walker. Works well, but I didn't modify my 3rd gen. Colt Walker; loading lever falls down on almost all shots.

Correct: although what I've heard through the collector's grapevine is this addition was a gunsmith trick. I obtained an 1860 stud & latch through some BP parts place, & put on my Sam Marco Walker. Works well, but I didn't modify my 3rd gen. Colt Walker; loading lever falls down on almost all shots.
Even my brand new Uberti 2nd mod Dragoon lever would drop every shot. Had to put a spacer under the latch spring to get full tension on latch. So in some cases non modified latch can fail.

Gun smith Gary Barnes out in Texas does a no-drop modification to the factory Walker catch that stops the dropping problem. All mods are hidden and the gun looks totally factory.

I'd really like to have a 5" barrel and a Dragoon catch, front sight to file down for 225-250 grainers.
Sorry Col. Walker, but I don't want to shoot horses at a hunnerd yards.

Maybe I should send a package to Mike Brackett.
:)

What is the max powder load for the Walker? I was looking at one in the shop the other day, and the guy across the counter said 25 grains was about average. That left me wondering, “ why bother”? My other guns already shoot 25. I was interested due to the belief that I could load it a good bit hotter...

The Colt Dragoons were loaded with 40 grains of powder. The Walker has a longer cylinder so loads of 45-50 grains of powder are not uncommon.

Some say the Colt Walker with a full load of powder was the most powerful revolver ever made before the .44 Magnum came out.

I worked for hours perfecting this mod on my Walker! LOL
IMG_1114%20-%20Version%202_zpswnxtvjn3.jpg
IMG_1115%20-%20Version%202_zpsrccg1sfz.jpg
Image%203_zpsedyc1wbz.jpg

Last edited:
I hate to tell you after working on it for so long but the band is on backwards????
IMG_1114%20-%20Version%202_zpswnxtvjn3.jpg
Dang, all that work for nothin’! Now I have to start all over again! And worse yet, this isn’t the first time I screwed this up. First time I was showing it off, so proud of my work, when another member pointed out it was on upside down!:D

Dang, all that work for nothin’! Now I have to start all over again! And worse yet, this isn’t the first time I screwed this up. First time I was showing it off, so proud of my work, when another member pointed out it was on upside down!:D
I thought it was inside out but didn't want be mean.

Latest posts

Back