• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Anyone Know What These Parts Are?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenaya

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been shooting for over 50 years, but I'm new to black powder. Sorting through the shop in my brother-in-law's estate, I came across these parts. He was huge into black powder and I know he built several rifles and pistols. They may be from one of his builds, or replacement parts for some other gun.

• They are engraved (possibly by rolling), nicely blued and apparently never used.
  • The through holes measure 0.750" and are adjustable via socket head cap screws.
  • When I measure the curved portion, I calculate that they would fit something with a 1.250" diameter.
  • The hole and notch in the smaller one was done during manufacturing, the engraving deliberately surrounds them.
  • My thoughts are: scope mounts OR tubular magazine brackets OR ramrod brackets.
Side 1.JPG
Bottom 1.JPG

Can anyone identify these parts and, maybe, the gun they fit?

Thank you in advance,

Tenaya

Tube magazine mounts generally were dovetailed to the barrel. They have an unusual dovetail in that they are put in at right angles to the barrel and turned so the hole is parallel to the barrel which locks them in place. These were made to screw to something round and then clamp down on whatever they held. The short one seems to be cut to mount near something and the engraving looks hand done to me. I admit I don't have a clue as to what their function was.

I guess such a tube sight would have to have both ends under ¾" in diameter to be mounted. Further, what's throws me is the radius of the (supposed) mounting area: 1¼". That seems huge for a rifle, even a heavy barrel (pun intended).

Tenaya

For some of the big round barrel slug guns running those type optics a 1 1/4" would be tiny. Nvm....you said radius but even 2.5" not out of the question on the slug line.

My old Unertyl tube sight is 3/4" as well.
20200525_211158.jpg

Last edited:
Note on the smaller base the notch cut out for some type of clearance. They were certainly made for a specific purpose I just can't imagine what. Even if they were made for a 1 1/4 inch barrel bench rifle the 3/4 inch diameter of the tube mount does not make sense of using an internal adjusted scope. Somebody figure this out before I go crazy thinking about it . . . well, maybe crazier . . .

Like Rifleman said.....I think it's for a tube sight/peep like my Unertyl tube not a scope....especially with the 3/4" measurement matching my tube. It would still be weird hardmounting a tube sight since they usually have adjustable mounts

Hi,

I've been shooting for over 50 years, but I'm new to black powder. Sorting through the shop in my brother-in-law's estate, I came across these parts. He was huge into black powder and I know he built several rifles and pistols. They may be from one of his builds, or replacement parts for some other gun.

• They are engraved (possibly by rolling), nicely blued and apparently never used.
  • The through holes measure 0.750" and are adjustable via socket head cap screws.
  • When I measure the curved portion, I calculate that they would fit something with a 1.250" diameter.
  • The hole and notch in the smaller one was done during manufacturing, the engraving deliberately surrounds them.
  • My thoughts are: scope mounts OR tubular magazine brackets OR ramrod brackets.

Can anyone identify these parts and, maybe, the gun they fit?

Thank you in advance,

Tenaya
You might want to send an email to "Gun Parts Corp, Numrich Arms" with the photo. They have handled about every part of every rifle. They would probably be able to give you a solid answer

I know they're in the business of selling parts, but would they take the time to answer a random question like this?

Tenaya
Right now, they are limited due to current circumstances. But when everything mellows out, send them an email with pics of front and sides. They have always treated me well.

They look like vintage sweat on small ring Mauser scope mounts. I have a drawer full of sweat on scope mounts that look the same sans engraving

Charles

Charles,

Thanks for the insight. Do small ring Mauser receivers have that large a radius on top?

Tenaya

Charles,

Thanks for the insight. Do small ring Mauser receivers have that large a radius on top?

Tenaya

SR Mauser have a 1.3 inch diameter. Could also be for some other gun, scope mounts like this were common in days gone by, especially in Europe I believe.

SR Mauser have a 1.3 inch diameter.

That would be consistent with my measurement/calculation.

Is there some feature on the top of the SR Mouser action that would explain the notch in the smaller mount? I looked at some photos on the web, but I can't really tell.

Thanks,

Tenaya

That would be consistent with my measurement/calculation.

Is there some feature on the top of the SR Mouser action that would explain the notch in the smaller mount? I looked at some photos on the web, but I can't really tell.

Thanks,

Tenaya
You would be better asking on one of the many Internet forums devoted to center fire rifles, since this site is strictly frontstuffers.

charles

You would be better asking on one of the many Internet forums devoted to center fire rifles, since this site is strictly frontstuffers.

OK, I'll do that.

I appreciate everyone who offered assistance,

Tenaya

Back