• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Anyone know what the nipple threads are on a Ruger Old Army revolver.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have one that the nipple is stuck, and a guy tried getting it out with a ezee out, and left a thin wall of metal, that would probably come out if I ran a tap thru it. all replies appreciated.

Unless you can start the tap in proper alignment with the existing threads, all you will do is ruin them. Take it to a professional. At least if it is already ruined, he can drill & tap for a larger nipple thread. Good luck!

Unless you can start the tap in proper alignment with the existing threads, all you will do is ruin them. Take it to a professional. At least if it is already ruined, he can drill & tap for a larger nipple thread. Good luck!
Well since I have been a gun smith for 38 years, it was relatively easy. I got the hole line up in my milling machine, drilled it out and you could see a tiny coating of metal left on the threads. I used the tap and simply cleaned out the old threads, left them bright shiny and new, put a new ss nipple in it, good to go.

I have one that the nipple is stuck, and a guy tried getting it out with a ezee out, and left a thin wall of metal, that would probably come out if I ran a tap thru it. all replies appreciated.
Just pull another nipple and check it with a Brownell's thread/hole gauge. I use both mine (metric/standard regularly !

Well since I have been a gun smith for 38 years, it was relatively easy. I got the hole line up in my milling machine, drilled it out and you could see a tiny coating of metal left on the threads. I used the tap and simply cleaned out the old threads, left them bright shiny and new, put a new ss nipple in it, good to go.
How did you get the cylinder canted and secured at the nipple barrel angle in the mill or are they parallel to the cylinder chambers ?

Last edited:
Back