• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Anyone ID this pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many Italian reproductions particularly of that vintage were made with incorrect length arbors which screws up the cylinder gap

I won't disagree with any who describe it as a defarbed and/or well used Italian reproduction. However, the flask spout in that case is of a type nobody makes anymore. There were roughly similar spouts on the Hawksley flasks which are now very hard to find in this country, and I have not seen that type of spout on any Colt or Remington reproduction flask. The point being that the flask looks old, to me. Likewise the cap tin. There is only a limited view of the mould, but I see a nice patina that would be difficult to replicate. The case was either artfully aged or is a real antique.

In my opinion, which is not expert, $300 would be a good price. If you are buying it for resale, or as an investment, I think I would pass altogether. I don't think I've ever made money on a gun trade.

If you want a really cool antique-looking revolver as a cased set, I doubt you could replicate anything close to that for less than $700, and $500 would not be an unreasonable ceiling for your bid.

If you want a shooter, and the accessories are irrelevant, I think you would be better off buying a new repro and sending it to Goon's Gun Works for set-up and tuning.

I can't identify the revolver. @sourdough could have told us, but he has gone to his reward, and may he rest in peace. Anyway, the brass frame, rebated cylinder, and octagonal barrel are an odd combination. I can't tell what the cylinder engraving depicts. Are there any markings at all on the barrel?

So, I guess what you bid on this outfit would depend on what you want, how badly you want it, and what you intend to do with it.

I will say that if you have a tight budget, impulse buys are rarely a good idea.

In any event, I want to wish you the best of luck with this gun! Thank you for presenting it to the rest of us, and we hope you'll let us know if you find anything to positively identify this enigmatic revolver and accessories.

Notchy Bob

It is a replica of an 1858 revolver
I would respectfully disagree. It may very well be modern made, with those Italian markings, and therefore a "replica," and the octagonal barrel gives it some similarity in appearance to an 1851 Colt, but those were .36 caliber and as far as I know, none had brass frames. Some Confederate revolvers had brass frames, but I don't know of any Colts that did. The 1858 Remington had a top strap, and I'm not aware of an 1858 Colt. In .44 caliber, with a rebated cylinder, brass frame and octagonal barrel, it is unlike any historical revolver I know of. So, it is very likely a "replica," but of what? Pietta makes a brass framed 1858 "Remington," and the renowned Witloe "Lee" revolver had a bronze frame, but it was also in the image of the 1858 Remington, with a top strap. The subject revolver has an open top.

It's a mystery.

Notchy Bob

As others have said this is clearly a modern Italian-made replica as shown by the proof marks. It looks like a forced "patina" where somone attacked the gun with sandpaper and steel wool. The wear doesn't look natural at all. If it was cheap it might make for nice home decor, but as a shooter or a collectible its probably junk.

If you can get it for under $300 then just enjoy. It is a nice looking cased set. If you are looking for HC then i would pass. Over the years i have bought parts and mismatched several revolvers and single shots. They are for my use so who cares, i dont.
DL

If you can get it for under $300 then just enjoy. It is a nice looking cased set. If you are looking for HC then i would pass. Over the years i have bought parts and mismatched several revolvers and single shots. They are for my use so who cares, i dont.
DL
That’s how I feel……

$758!!!!! For that?!?

I am also shocked. Two things seemed clear to me from the pics: (1) It was an attempt to deceive and (2) it wasn’t even a very good job. With the modern proof marks and even the date code intact, even an inexperienced buyer should have seen the obvious.

I bought an Armi San Marco Walker for which I knew I was paying a bit more than it was worth, but I wanted the case and accessories that came with it. They were a fun project to restore for my newer Uberti Walker. This cased set might have been worth $300 for a similar project but I would have written off the gun as a loss.

@Caniborrowsomeammo, now that this has sold can you share where you found it?

Back