• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone I.D. this wheelock????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe there was some limited manufacture of Wheellocks in the UK but they where not as numerous as continental makers . Other than the challenge & novelty of wheellocks there is nothing other to commend them no ballistic advantage or rate of fire or surety of fire . they might have done away with the glowing match only this one plus but that's about it and considering the hummonguss effort required to produce them there is nothing to commend them other .The English lock & snaphance are enough bother. but a bit less fussy at least . Rudyard

A little history here. A Rudyard says, there was some limited Wheellock manufacture in England. Wheellocks did play a pivotal role in the development of a new type of mounted troop - the pistol armed cavalry. Most notable the Ritters in the german territories. This would have a huge impact on European battle tactics for a good while. Wheellock pistols also drove some of the earliest anti-gun legislation. They were expensive, and needed expert care to be reliable. Once better locks came about en masse - most notably the english lock and flint locks they took over.

Although Rudyard feels there was nothing to commend the wheel-lock as I understand it, the wheel-lock remained very popular with target shooters long after the snaphance and later flintlock were introduced. The main reason I've been told that the wheel-lock died out is because of their high price and their complexity.

Although complicated, the wheel-lock gives almost instantaneous ignition when the trigger is pulled if the right prime and good pyrite is used in them. As target shooters knew, this can be worth the extra cost of owning one of them.

Interesting comments Zonie . Yes their where target shooters shot W locks in competitions long after their main stream use. But they also shot Matchlocks in these events not because the Wheellock was better but because the matches still had those catogories .And we still shoot the old stuff in International competition for the same reason. I speak from experience not fancy . I've often hunted with a Wheellock a cheek stocked one , Once went 10 days roaming these mountains I'me surrounded by . shot 7 ferrol goats with my 45 Wheellock on that occasion .Sure writters oft repeat that instant ignition bit. They also tell us it was impossible to shoot flying with a matchlock but it is quite possible even to shoot driven birds with one so they just trotted out earlier notions and never tried it . Well I have tried it ,shot them, slept with them you might say.got to know their foibles. Hunted all week with a 54 cal rifled snap matchlock.( My hunts where rarely less than a week at a time whatever the gun it was just opportune so I went for it ).Went 18 days one trip in Coast Range of BC but that was more a' passage' the gun a double ex flint 16 bore just for pot hunting and a ball if needed in the left barrel .That was my' Mountain mans choice' not that I looked at it that way. I did wear an axe & suitable knife Ide only wear the knife in NZ I might prevail on Pukka to send pics . Regards Rudyard

I'm not too impressed with whoever made this. If you accidentally turn the spanner counterclockwise the chain jumps the tit on the mainspring.
Why doesnt someone build one with a pull type coil spring with a piece of wire rope looped around the axis instead of a chain.
I'm actually thinking of building one like this which will be more reliable and smoother firing.
I am interested in doing that, pattern after the DaVinci drawing. Maybe I will get around to organising my shop while staying inside...

Back