• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone I.D. this wheelock????

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EZFEED

40 Cal
Reaction score
I'm getting rid of this one too. Its got a nifty fake pyrite tha
15798944769238072354926066145068.jpg
it holds striker flints like the ones for an acetelyne torch.

I'm not too impressed with whoever made this. If you accidentally turn the spanner counterclockwise the chain jumps the tit on the mainspring.
Why doesnt someone build one with a pull type coil spring with a piece of wire rope looped around the axis instead of a chain.
I'm actually thinking of building one like this which will be more reliable and smoother firing.

Is it a custom job or a Spanish replica? Looks English to me, of the Tudor period.

If they had pinned the end of the chain to the mainspring it wouldn't be a problem. That or made a bigger hook on the spring.
I quit letting people shoot it because folks seem to always turn counterclockwise and throw the chain. I'm really wanting to build one soon.
Anyone know who made this????

Yould have to find out the dismeter of the shaft with the drum on it and ask at a reel repair shop. Those anti reverse bearings are pretty slim. Might just work

Hi,
On a well designed wheellock there is no risk the chain will come off. Pinning the mainspring would be a problem because it would be very difficult to take apart unless the chain and link drop below the plate so you can tap from either side. There were a few wheellocks made with coil springs but there was no real need and the spring power has to be massive to assure it can over power any fouling build up behind the wheel that can jam it. I think it is a from scratch product of an amateur maker and as such is very ambitious and brave. I tip my hat to him with great respect. It is not likely English in style if there ever was any English style wheellock. I am not aware of any uncontroversial evidence that wheellocks were ever made in England. Certainly there are wheellocks owned by English but they were made in continental Europe. The design of the gun and lock looks somewhat German, either Suhl or Nuremburg. Regardless, I could probably work it over to make a properly functioning and historically correct gun with appropriate 16th or 17th century decoration. If you are serious about selling it send me a PM with a price.

dave

Is the trigger guard part of a casting with the trigger plate? Stock shape and trigger plate look like a JF Schroter kit. The lock does not, however.

I'm not too impressed with whoever made this. If you accidentally turn the spanner counterclockwise the chain jumps the tit on the mainspring.
Why doesnt someone build one with a pull type coil spring with a piece of wire rope looped around the axis instead of a chain.
I'm actually thinking of building one like this which will be more reliable and smoother firing.

I made this wheel lock quite a few years ago according to a set of plans. There was nothing wrong with it and shot well for years. I sold it through Track of the Wolf....Dave
is the only person who even came close. I have made several more since all using the
"stretch spring" system with a chain.This gave a 7/8 rotation to the wheel. Also using the
fire sticks....There is no excuse for winding the wheel in the wrong direction. This was the
first attempt I made at wheel locks so I just did the best I could. That's all I can say
Wulf

Wolf, it looks pretty good. I built several of the Schroter kits and made upgrades. This one is setup well in the period fashion with he original mainspring and chain. That can be made very reliable.

I made this wheel lock quite a few years ago according to a set of plans. There was nothing wrong with it and shot well for years. I sold it through Track of the Wolf....Dave
is the only person who even came close. I have made several more since all using the
"stretch spring" system with a chain.This gave a 7/8 rotation to the wheel. Also using the
fire sticks....There is no excuse for winding the wheel in the wrong direction. This was the
first attempt I made at wheel locks so I just did the best I could. That's all I can say
Wulf

Wulf I AM SO VERY SORRY!!!! :( I did not mean to dog you're work :( Please accept my apologies I am sorry if I offended you :(
The only problem I ever had was this and having to take it apart every time I let someone other than me shoot it. Trigger is fine, release is fine, accuracy is good, no other issues.

Apology accepted altho not necessary. That barrel is from a Zouave that I let someone
who I thought knew better, load and shoot.......That was once and it cost me a barrel...
I cut off the ring section and made two pistols ......

Back