• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone here using a bag mould

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got one and while it's neat and lightweight and probably of the type used by my ancestors, I wonder if anyone here is using one now. And if so, any special instructions...other than wearing gloves?

I use one. The handles are wrapped with leather thongs because gloves are too bulky and using the mold, with its narrow handles, is awkward. Keep it warm and it should throw a good ball - the first few that come out wrinkled just go back in the pot.

I've used them in the past. Only reason I don't now is because I've changed ball size for my trade gun, and don't have a mold for that size.

I have several and as others have said, I have the leather covers on the handles, and keep the last ball of the day in the mold. I always have a pair of thin leather gloves in my pack for chores and such around camp so I use them when doing that chore.

And yes they are not for mass production of RB, but there is something relaxing about cranking out a dozen or so at the fire!

I love mine, they are all Rapine Bad molds.

I use only one. It's an oldish one in .735" and came with my Bess. Since it's perfect for my Bess I've always used it rather than spend money for another.

I don't carry molds in the field cuzz it just doesn't fit my world or dreams. It certainly works, but it's not my idea of a fun time compared to conventional modern versions. But I can't argue with results. I don't use enough of those big balls to justify modern replacement, but I'll do that in a heartbeat if I start using more of them.

I have several and have casted thousands of balls with them. The vast majority of those balls were cast using an electric pot, though I have cast some over the fire. The fire is fun and a good practice for living history, but not very practical compared to an electric pot. As others have said, wear gloves and wrap the handles. I cut off the thumbs from some old leather gloves and slide those on the handles. When I use a pot, I rest the closed cavity on the edge of the pot while it heats up, though I still put the first couple balls back in the pot anyway. The key for me, to consistently cast high quality balls with these molds, is the following: when pouring the lead from the ladle into the cavity hole, be sure to hold the ladle there for a couple of seconds after filling the cavity so the lead sprue is solid and doesn’t form any holes. So basically, you pour the lead in until it fills all the way up and then hold it there like you’re still pouring. Of course, you’ve also got to be careful not to get the pot too hot, or else you’ll be pouring molten lead out of your cavity instead of a solid ball.

When melting over a campfire, you’re usually talking about a handful of balls and doing it just for the experience. Still worth it, but not very efficient.

These bag molds were usually made out of iron or brass and if the mold was dropped on a hard surface there is the possibility that it could hit on one of its corners next to the cavity or on the handles.

If this happens, the mold can be bent causing the area of the mold where the cavity is to spring and become mis-aligned.

With a close fitting ball in the cavity, the lead ball will keep both sides of the mold aligned, even if it is dropped.

My mother and her sisters used to cast balls in a fireplace with bag molds. They weren't interested in casting numbers, just a few at a time. That was back in 1912 or so.

I keep a ball in all my molds, was told too when I bought my first mold forty five years ago or more. Never questioned why. Three cuts in a pie crust , one to let out the steam two because mama did it that way. :haha:

"because mama did it that way" and there's absolutly any reason to change. :grin:

Zonie, I always leave a ball in the mold, was told to do that when I was 10 years old but I would never have thought about the possibility of bending the hinge area.

Zonie, I had never thought of that and could see myself dropping a mold due to my clumsy nature! :haha:

If I had a dime for every time I learned something new from your sharing wisdom, I’d definitely be rich. If you only knew how much you’ve taught me on this forum? Either directly by public posts or personally through PM’s.

Don’t know why I got into all that but only to say thank you.

Respectfully, Cowboy

I too give thanks to you Zonie! :hatsoff:

I picked up 3 antique bag molds several years ago in 3 different sizes. One, a very petite 30 caliber R\B, another approx. 48 caliber, and a large one that comes close to 69 caliber.

Each mold had a ball in its cavity. The older guy I bought them from told me that they belonged to his long departed grandfather. To his knowledge they were always stored away and not used his entire lifetime. I gather that this practice of keeping a ball in the mold has been going on for a very long time.

Try straightening the handles and then sliding a corncob over them. That really helps protect your hands from the heat.

At one time I bought many originals very inexpensively at antique shops and flea markets. I could never understand justification for buying a modern made one. Rags, gloves, corn cobs, whatever, they are still hand burners and turn out what today we would consider inferior round balls. Doing it this way over a campfire just because it is an olde timey thing just never appealed to me.

Back