• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Anyone here built a Sitting Fox kit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I couldn't tell you anything about their builders

That is a point that has been overlooked. As I understand it, Sitting Fox is merely a sales broker for several builders. When you buy a SF gun or kit you don't know anything about it. It is like asking "is a used car any good?".
As for DOM barrels, there was a great deal of discussion about them some time ago here. Methinks some searching will bring up much info. As I recall, the final conclusion was that DOM is suitable for our uses and has a pressure fail rate much higher than is obtained with bp.

My first build was a Sitting Fox fowler. Had to inlet the lock. A little more wood removal to get the look I wanted. Otherwise the stock has a lot of curl. Gun shoots great with ball or shot. No complaints

Thanks for the responses guys! I have no plans for a smoothbore of any make, so I'm not overly concerned about DOM barrels. My guess is they would be just as safe as the original forged barrel fowlers of the pioneers. However, I have enough of a challenge with open sights on a rifled barrel at my age, so smooth is out for me.

I did finally get a quote from Sitting Fox. The $599 price for a Tennessee half-stock rifle is kind of misleading. The quote came to $861 including shipping and a $40 patchbox that I didn't order, so the price of the actual kit is pretty close to a Kibler. That is also without the stock inlet for the lock, at Eric Krewson's suggestion.

Anyway, it has become kind of moot at this point in time for me anyway. We got the statement on our investments the other day, and it looks like I will have to live with what I have...at least for the time being. So I guess I'll just keep studying guns others have built for a while more.

I still appreciate all of the input though!

Back