• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

anyone have info on these flaks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I need info to post these for sell right.
DSCF0038.JPG

Flak- Fliegerabwehrkanone

If you mean flask, the one on the left is for shot. The one on the right appears to be for shot as well, but I haven't seen a spout like that one before.

The left-hand flask is, indeed, a shot flask, adjustable by moving the upper cutoff between its 2 positions - which should be marked in ounces and fractions for the charge delivered. The right-hand flask is a powder flask, apparently for pretty large charges, likely shotgun, and should be marked in drams for each of the positions available by sliding the external sleeve.

mhb - MIke

The left one which is a leather shot flask and throws a charge on 1/1/4 oz and 1.1/2 oz of shot the right one is powder flask and will throw 2.1/2 drms up to 3.1/4 drams of powder mostly known has game shooting flasks, these powder nozzles come in all sizes the largest throws 15 drams for fowling for guns up to a 4 bore .They look like UK flasks of which most were made by Dixon and sons and Hawksley, I would date these flasks of around 1840 -1860
Feltwad
100_3974.JPG

The sleeve is the external part of the spout, and is adjusted by pulling it away from the flask body and setting it at the slot for the appropriate charge. The sleeve is held in position by a screw engaging the slots in the sleeve - the sleeve appears to be present, but may be stuck.
Some flasks bear the maker's name, but not all. I agree with Feltwad on dating of the flasks.

mhb -MIke
mhb, you are right about the 2 flasks but the power one has no sleeve. Do you have any idea of age and hew made them?

Enclosed is a image of a large powder flask showing the adjustable sleeve ,the numbers represent the drms of powder thrown from each adjusting point of the sleeve .Hope that is of some help
Feltwad
100_4114.JPG

Latest posts

Back