• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone from ND?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry I can't help you... I live in Florida. However, I visited North Dakota a few years ago and loved it. I photographed this old boy in Theodore Roosevelt National Park:

TRNP Old Bull.jpg

We also visited Fort Union, which I believe hosts an occasional rendezvous. If you visit there and check the event schedule, chances are pretty good you'll find some kindred spirits.

Best of luck to you,

Notchy Bob

Notchy Bob, I should say I think I am the only muzzleloader nut from ND on the forum. I know many that aren't on here. That I am aware of. I get to Medora most years to go through the park, Fort Union rendezvous is fathers day weekend every year. Been there. My kids have both been there helping some of the traders.

We do have a pretty good club down here near rapid city, and our range is on general custer's artillery range on ft meade grounds. Job no longer allows me to attend their meetings and shoots, However, I'm always there in spirit.

And the arrows turned out great. Wish i had more time to shoot them. I need a minimum of 3 days per week, and am lucky to get that many days a month this year:

20211029_201538.jpg
20211016_125747.jpg
20211016_154618.jpg
20211016_122908.jpg
20211016_122712.jpg

I came really close to going to that one last year after i moved here... am still unsure about next year, but we have a nice little one down here in the black hills too. They probably would have talked about it if you met them.

Sorry I can't help you... I live in Florida. However, I visited North Dakota a few years ago and loved it. I photographed this old boy in Theodore Roosevelt National Park:

View attachment 101832

We also visited Fort Union, which I believe hosts an occasional rendezvous. If you visit there and check the event schedule, chances are pretty good you'll find some kindred spirits.

Best of luck to you,

Notchy Bob
where did his hair / fur go? got the mange?

I lived in North Dakota for 47 years before we moved to Minnesota due to my wife, Jo's, heart transplant.

where did his hair / fur go? got the mange?
That's very observant of you, @toot !

The photo was taken in July. The old bull was shedding his cold-weather coat. I understand this is a normal, annual occurrence, and the native people used to gather the shed wool and twist it into yarns to make ropes and cordage, and even finger-woven bags.

The front half of a buffalo has longer hair than the back. One of the old-timers wrote that the aiming point when shooting bison was at the line where the long hair met the short, and pretty low down. Just something I read. I've never shot one... except with the camera!

North Dakota is famously cold in the winter, but it gets hot in the summer. I recall it was over 100 degrees that day, and the old bull was panting.

Thanks for your comments.

Notchy Bob

Last edited:
That's very observant of you, @toot !

The photo was taken in July. The old bull was shedding his cold-weather coat. I understand this is a normal, annual occurrence, and the native people used to gather the shed wool and twist it into yarns to make ropes and cordage, and even finger-woven bags.

The front half of a buffalo has longer hair than the back. One of the old-timers wrote that the aiming point when shooting bison was at the line where the long hair met the short, and pretty low down. Just something I read. I've never shot one... except with the camera!

North Dakota is famously cold in the winter, but it gets hot in the summer. I recall it was over 100 degrees that day, and the old bull was panting.

Thanks for your comments.

Notchy Bob
thank you so much for the great reply to my question. the NATIVE AMERICANS seamed to not waste anything that was provided them? as for a well placed shot it rely makes sense!

First post but long time reader. ND for ten years SD presently. Been looking at getting started with muzzleloading for a while. I got my hands on some powder and caps, so now the hard part is done I think.

Both of my Parents are from ND. I was born in SD. Still have cousins in ND and many memories as a child.

Back