• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Anyone familiar with this builder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Franklin1840

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a 36cal muzzleloader built by Ted M Sapp in 1970. Stamped on the barrel is "Horsefly" and BC, Canada. Any information about the barrels etc. that he used would be appreciated. Does anyone know who "Horsefly" is? Thanks.

I'm not sure who Ted is but there is a unincorporated village named Horsefly northeast of William's Lake in the Cariboo region of BC. Perhaps that's where he was when he made it.

I did a little more google and there are a lot of people with the Sapp surname in the Horsefly - William's Lake area. Including a Teddy Sapp from Horsefly who graduated high school in the 90's. Grandson maybe. I have some older friends I shoot BP with and will ask them if they're familiar with his guns. Its a small world up here regarding BP.

Greetings,
my friend's brother lives up in a little place near HORSEFLY, he's contacting him and asking for info if there is any.....another fellow on our outdoor site lives up in WILLIAMS LAKE .have asked him to let me know if he knows anything.... hey,we.re trying....
cheers OLD CROW / glenn on vancouver island.

So here are the answers......
my friend ,Steve Rupp went to school with a fellow named AARON CLARK. his dad ran ''CLARK'S Store'' in HORSEFLY family owned for 60+years.
TED M.SAPP was an American metal worker and made butcher and carving knives for Mr.CLARK.
He and mr.CLARK have long since gone to ''their rewards''. this info just came from mr.CLARKS son AARON.mr.SAPP'S daughter married and lives to this day up in QUENEL BC. so your barrel was hand made by an american metal worker,living in the town of HORSEFLY.
This is,I guess is the end of the trail UNLESS AARON gives my friend Steve some more info.
Glenn PURCELL 5677-big bear ridge
NANAIMO,VANCOUVER ISLAND V9T2K3.CANADA

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a lot more info than I could have got. I was hoping that some of the older members of the club I shoot at might have known him. Looking at your name is making me think I bought a GPR .54 barrel from you a while ago.???

Nope, all my b.p.gear is .50cal.....and I only''trade'' face to face....going back almost 40 years,I used to shoot at the BARNETT Range, then up at PACIFIC SHOOTERS Range up by the gate at the SEYMOUR RIVER....been shooting for over 30 years at the PARKSVILLE Club
(RESTRICTED firearms). most times,i'm just in the woods...
I am one of 3 mods on the TRUE NORTH OUTDOOR FORUMS site,,,,,user name is NAHMINT II.
Drop in the site .... Glenn

well i guess that pretty much settles my question i think- its a nice shooter, , barrel length about 32 in long, full stock with dark brown wood-appears to be walnut, has a bedford lock i think, barrel in pretty nice shape for as old as it is, i measured it to be i/48 inch twist--nice fun gun to own and plink with--i thank everyone for their detective work etc--probably would be a nice varmint gun if i ever got into that mode again.

Only loosley related I made a 50 cal flint long rifle at the Canfor camp on Nimpkish Lake in the carpenters shop at night . used to cross the Nimpkish and camp weekends short of Cold creek . stalked a Black bear brought the rifle up and 'counted coup'silently no need of meat just a break sometimes accompanied by' Buffo' the camp dog .Made a rude log raft with sail from old film screen could sail to a degree .Took it the rifle for a trip down the Tesitica dureing a fire risk period most went home but that was my home , shot a salmon then again knocked up a drift wood raft & paddled the chuck when calm to Beaver Cove. Better than bashing through the Sallal. and a fishing boat gave me a big steak sandwitch .Orca's about , big waves from cruise ships no fret its the little choppy ones from power boats rocked me about a bit . Good memories . patch box has stags head at hinge & Bears & Dogwoods in the side panels made out of old bush loco brass Henry Stadlebour gave me he used to carve the driftwood & chainsaw out bears spent part of summer there The stock plank came from Courtney. I band sawed it all into stock blanks & posted it just adding the address & stamps . Made a wheellock with one bit still got a Jager blank. Lock was Haddaway Brl & lock bought off Ted Fellows first I ever made too heavy even after I swamped it but I was young & fit then 1973 never liked snow NZ's warmer .
Rudyard

Back