• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Anyone. Ever see one of these before?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogfood

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I've always like the 1864 Zouave rifle even if it never saw combat.
Liking shorter barrelled rifles, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this rendition of an 1864 by Zoli made to artillery carbone length. Naturally, I had to have it.
Question is, have any of you ever come across one? Shoot one? Own one?
I'm hoping it'll prove to be a good shooter esp come deer season.
Cheers,
dgfd

Attachments

• PXL_20220707_211051824.jpg
    PXL_20220707_211051824.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20220707_211104597.jpg
    PXL_20220707_211104597.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My first muzzleloader was a carbine model Zouave. My buddy had the infantry model.
I don't recall the maker.
It sure was an accurate rifle. We didn't know what we were doing back then, mid-70's. But it was great fun shooting them.

Liking shorter barrelled rifles, I was pleasantly surprised when I saw this rendition of an 1864 by Zoli made to artillery carbone length. Naturally, I had to have it.
Cheers,
dgfd
Looks brand new 👌

I was originally seeking a JP Murray Artillery Carine, but then learned about the Richmond Carbine. I found a member on here who had one available and purchased it.

Attachments

• 3FFCD8A0-D071-4FD9-BF50-0E9D6E0301BD (2).jpeg
    3FFCD8A0-D071-4FD9-BF50-0E9D6E0301BD (2).jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 131775-b57a85f310419d08145600f7baed2a25.jpg
    131775-b57a85f310419d08145600f7baed2a25.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 0
One is a repro of a gun that existed, and the Zoli is an imaginary gun if the US put out a late war artillery carbine, sure. But given they have similar if not the same features, wouldn't they both be musketoons?
Or did I complete miss your point. 😵‍💫

I guess not, but the Parker-Hale version was made and sold as a Musketoon, using the documented and historical military designation in whilst in the service of the country that made it. You have already admitted that the Zoli gun is imaginary, and therefore cannot have an official designation. Perhaps it would be better to say 'after the style of a Musketoon'?

Cheers,
dgfd
The Zoli is one of the most common makes. I recently saw in person, a mint, un-issued Zouave that a dealer had at a swap meet. It's amazing to hold and view in detail the originals; the workmanship and quality is so superior to the replicas! Not to criticize the replicas! I've had about three of them, the one at present seemed to have better wood fit that others I swapped off. Not had much shooting with them, but the Originals were so common in the late 50's, early 60's that many shooters with N-NSA used them for competition. (Even though they were never issued to troops.) Good luck with yours!

Back