• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Anyone else on here ever buy a pedersoli with bad sanding quality on the stock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those are all great points to bring up. The rifle does function as it should with no safety concerns with the function of the trigger and lock assembly, the frizzen has a nice hardness to it. Only issue I found is the front trigger has a very hard trigger pull. But works fine with the hair trigger set, so I’m not concerned about that cause I always shoot with a hair trigger and yes I’m now thinking of the price versus quality aspect of the whole thing.
My son bought one with his lawn mowing money over ten years ago and it was looking pretty beat up after a lot of use… I decided to strip it down and re-finish it and was very pleased with how it turned out. Wish I’d done it sooner… I’d encourage you to. They are great shooters and with a little TLC they can make a nice looking gun too…

Attachments

• 9C844162-FB54-4406-82DC-F06BE0CCAC11.jpeg
    9C844162-FB54-4406-82DC-F06BE0CCAC11.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • A25538E4-9CF1-4359-AC5B-FC853B1CA171.jpeg
    A25538E4-9CF1-4359-AC5B-FC853B1CA171.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Hello everyone I just bought my first Pedersoli. It’s a frontier flintlock. I went with them because I’ve heard nothing but good things about them from a lot of ppl I know. But when I received my rifle I’m really disappointed in the stock finish. Someone got a little carried away when sanding and sanded a low spot in the wood around the lock. Can some of you give me some input if I’m being to picky or if it’s unacceptable?

That looks like a machining error. They probably didn’t recalibrate the CNC machine for tolerances between batches. But I think the consequence is that there is extra wood around the lock mortise. If you were ever intending on refinishing the stock I would use a round scraper and level out the area. Not the worst mistake I’ve seen from pedersoli.

Their CNC tolerances are generally higher, which is a reason why many of their stocks are bulky, for example their 1766 Charleville has about 1lb of extra wood on it in the. Wrist and forearm.

My son bought one with his lawn mowing money over ten years ago and it was looking pretty beat up after a lot of use… I decided to strip it down and re-finish it and was very pleased with how it turned out. Wish I’d done it sooner… I’d encourage you to. They are great shooters and with a little TLC they can make a nice looking gun too…
That turned out really nice. His has really nice wood grain. A lot of ppl are saying mines an easy fix. I’m leaning now more towards keeping it and eventually correcting the issue. I also really like the wood grain in mine. May I ask what stain or oil you used on the stock?

Here’s the grain of mine

Attachments

• 0540422A-DD19-44FF-B86B-3DBD9FC72005.jpeg
    0540422A-DD19-44FF-B86B-3DBD9FC72005.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
That looks like a machining error. They probably didn’t recalibrate the CNC machine for tolerances between batches. But I think the consequence is that there is extra wood around the lock mortise. If you were ever intending on refinishing the stock I would use a round scraper and level out the area. Not the worst mistake I’ve seen from pedersoli.

Their CNC tolerances are generally higher, which is a reason why many of their stocks are bulky, for example their 1766 Charleville has about 1lb of extra wood on it in the. Wrist and forearm.
Another member on here thought the same as well. It makes perfect sense why it’s so low and choppy. I’m going to take it to two different local gun builders I know and get a price. I honestly have never shaped or refinished a stock in my life and don’t want to mess it up more.

what dave person said ... a little work with a scraper or a file / riffler will clean that up - you'll probably want to go over the whole stock with scrapers anyway.

good luck with your build :)
Thank you for the advice and the luck. Everyone on here are making feel a lot better about the issue.

It's ok to vent to us but other than some advice on how to fix it, our hands are tied. Pedersoli does have a web site. They're not likely to have you ship it back to Italy and I cringe at the thought of sending a damaged gun internationally for repair or replacement. I absolutely would talk to somebody at both Pedersoli AND where you bought it. Give them an opportunity to make it right. Let them deal with Pedersoli. I think if a customer is just plane unhappy with a purchase, a refund would be in order. If they can replace the gun with a better standard of quality control, that's fine to. Postage and handling should be the sellers responsibility. That's what a good company would do. Who did you buy the gun from originally anyway?

It's ok to vent to us but other than some advice on how to fix it, our hands are tied. Pedersoli does have a web site. They're not likely to have you ship it back to Italy and I cringe at the thought of sending a damaged gun internationally for repair or replacement. I absolutely would talk to somebody at both Pedersoli AND where you bought it. Give them an opportunity to make it right. Let them deal with Pedersoli. I think if a customer is just plane unhappy with a purchase, a refund would be in order. If they can replace the gun with a better standard of quality control, that's fine to. Postage and handling should be the sellers responsibility. That's what a good company would do. Who did you buy the gun from originally anyway?

I’ve owned dozens of pedersoi’s of the same pattern, no two guns are absolutely identical. Each one has a flaw or two, none of them are flawless in terms of cosmetic appearance.

Here’s the grain of mine
The grain in that stock has the makings for a beautiful gun once finished properly… don’t be afraid to do it… just take your time… you can perform brain surgery from YouTube videos… look up some on re-
That turned out really nice. His has really nice wood grain. A lot of ppl are saying mines an easy fix. I’m leaning now more towards keeping it and eventually correcting the issue. I also really like the wood grain in mine. May I ask what stain or oil you used on the stock?

finishing a stock. There are dozens… you’ve got this and when it’s finished you’ll be glad you did… that grain will be gorgeous.
I used a file to remove some of the excess wood and progressively sanded back to 0000 paper. Then I gently scraped it all and burnished it with a dowel rod. I used Birchwood Casey filler first and then several (10-15) coats of hand rubbed tru oil. Between each coat I used scotch brite and a tac cloth…

I’ve owned dozens of pedersoi’s of the same pattern, no two guns are absolutely identical. Each one has a flaw or two, none of them are flawless in terms of cosmetic appearance.
I have a couple Pedersoli flintlock guns. I'd put there finish in the "good to very good" range. Not perfect but not sloppy by a long shot. That lock inletting is sloppy. I'd absolutely be looking for a replacement.
KIMG1415.JPG

I only came on here for all opinions good and bad, I would never expect step by step instructions from anyone on how to fix it. I feel the same on shipping it over to Italy. I’m not doing that if that’s what they want. I’ve already talked with one person from pedersoli and they said it’s a very small imperfection in there opinion and not covered for a warranty claim. I’m still waiting to hear back from the seller wholesale hunter. But I pretty much know what they are going to say because their policy states that black powder firearms cannot be refunded, returned, or exchanged. The gun was shipped straight out from a big Italian gun distributor called IFG in Texas so I might contact them and see what they can do if anything. I would have bought straight from them if I knew they existed. Their prices are a whole lot cheaper.

The grain in that stock has the makings for a beautiful gun once finished properly… don’t be afraid to do it… just take your time… you can perform brain surgery from YouTube videos… look up some on re-

finishing a stock. There are dozens… you’ve got this and when it’s finished you’ll be glad you did… that grain will be gorgeous.
I used a file to remove some of the excess wood and progressively sanded back to 0000 paper. Then I gently scraped it all and burnished it with a dowel rod. I used Birchwood Casey filler first and then several (10-15) coats of hand rubbed tru oil. Between each coat I used scotch brite and a tac cloth…
Gotta love YouTube. I’ve watched a few already. This may be a good off season project before hunting starts again.

I hope so too. Thank you
While you take it to your gunmaker or gunsmith have him see if he can do a little trigger work.I have had that same gun for 10 years and my front trigger has been horrible from day one. I don't ever use the front trigger on its own.Bad thing is, I have done a ton of research on them and no one seems to know how to fix them.

While you take it to your gunmaker or gunsmith have him see if he can do a little trigger work.I have had that same gun for 10 years and my front trigger has been horrible from day one. I don't ever use the front trigger on its own.Bad thing is, I have done a ton of research on them and no one seems to know how to fix them.
Mine does the exact same thing. Front trigger alone is so hard I feel like something is going to break. Works great in conjunction with the set trigger.

Back