• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone else have sore raw fingertips

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use those sail makers palms too. They sell them Tandy too. I also use a pair of needle nose pliers or pliers too. It can be hard to pull a needle through even with a hole poked through,

Seems every single leather project I've ever done has to have some bloodletting..... 🤣
Indeed, IF I was ever to become "famous" or perhaps even "infamous" and bag or knife sheath projects of mine became somewhat valuable due to my celebrity..., they could be authenticated by a DNA test for they would all have my blood on them somewhere

LD

I have a heavy duty stitcher that I have used to sew holsters up to 3/4" thick, but most of the leather stitching I do using harness needles, marking punches to mark the hole pattern and a very sharp leather awl to open the holes. I wear a cheap pair of mechanic gloves to get a good hold on the needles - if you twist the awl to open the holes the needles will pass through very easily and you have a good grip with the gloves. After you finish stitching you can take a smooth faced hammer and tap the stitches to close up the holes to where you hardly see them. Drilling works but you are removing leather and the holes remain visible unless you fill them with some type of wax. I think the most important thing is have a highly polished, very sharp awl blade that you touch up regularly on a strop and I rub the blade with beeswax to help it to easily glide through leather.

Leather tools.jpg

You need a sharp stitching awl and harness needles. I can stitch a thick modern holster with same. No need for modern Asian punch thru chisels or the like. Drilling removes leather and creates non-closable holes. Sometimes you may need a pair of pliers with smooth jaws to pull a needle on exceptionally thick material or especially if your awl, needles and thread are not mated correctly.
Doing one awl hole and stitch at a time instead of prepunching all holes and just lacing the thread keeps the holes from closing up so much.

Give your Significant other the upholstery needles and buy some harness needles; they have rounded points and won't go through the other thread in a saddle stitch. Ditch the speedy stitcher awl and learn how to sew leather without it. You won't need near as many band aids and the work will go much smoother and faster.
That right there!

Do not use sharp needles! Use the right tools for the job. Get some round tipped needles made specifically for saddle stitching leather. Pre drill the holes. No more bleeding fingers!

No, there will be no visible holes afterward. 🙄

Last edited:
Yep. I use pliers also. On thick holster leather I lay out the hole location with an over stitch wheel and then drill through the leather with a 1'16" bit.
I use a compass to draw my line and then use a little two hole punch and hammer to make the holes. Then use pliers to pull the needle through on the thick stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_20231217_150130987.jpg
    IMG_20231217_150130987.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Back