• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Anyone else experience this problem with an Uberti 1858 Army? Help requested ...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boom Stick

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I have a new in box 1858 Uberti that I purchased from Midway back in February. Unfortunately, it has sat in be box since receiving it due to ... you guessed it, the supply shortages. Decided to pull the 1858 out and leather working tools and leather to finally start on the holster, belt, and pouch project that I have been researching.

I pulled the '58 out and was wiping it down with a rag and noticed the 'problem' .... the front sight is completely loose in the dovetail. It seems that the gob of preservative oil was the only thing keeping the front sight in the dovetail. It fell out so I completed wiped out the dovetail and dried the front sight and reinserted it and without the oil the sight freely slides out of the dovetail on either side depending on how I tilt the revolver. Pretty disappointing for a new revolver, especially when this should have never left the factory in such an obvious state.

The front sight is so loose in the dovetail that I'm not sure that peening (proper term?) it will work and I am unsure that I would then be able to drift the sight to adjust windage if / when needed afterwards. Does Uberti offer replacement sights with different sized bases that would offer a tighter fit? Does this revolver need to be sent back for repair?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Steve

I have a new in box 1858 Uberti that I purchased from Midway back in February. Unfortunately, it has sat in be box since receiving it due to ... you guessed it, the supply shortages. Decided to pull the 1858 out and leather working tools and leather to finally start on the holster, belt, and pouch project that I have been researching.

I pulled the '58 out and was wiping it down with a rag and noticed the 'problem' .... the front sight is completely loose in the dovetail. It seems that the gob of preservative oil was the only thing keeping the front sight in the dovetail. It fell out so I completed wiped out the dovetail and dried the front sight and reinserted it and without the oil the sight freely slides out of the dovetail on either side depending on how I tilt the revolver. Pretty disappointing for a new revolver, especially when this should have never left the factory in such an obvious state.

The front sight is so loose in the dovetail that I'm not sure that peening (proper term?) it will work and I am unsure that I would then be able to drift the sight to adjust windage if / when needed afterwards. Does Uberti offer replacement sights with different sized bases that would offer a tighter fit? Does this revolver need to be sent back for repair?

Steve
I believe I’d send it back.

Try cutting a small thin length of Coke can (I prefer Pepsi) to make a shim under the sight. Put it half in, then put the sight in. Tap to center. See if it holds. If not, try two thicknesses of can.

ADK Bigfoot
The coke can trick works very well, I have several firearms I’ve shimmed this way.

You can peen the dovetail in the barrel with 3/4” to 1” socket. Lay the socket across the dovetail and then lightly tap the socket with a hammer to tighten up the dovetail. Once once you have the gun sighted in horizontally, you may want to stake the sight in the barrel. Keeps it from moving and offers a visual reference if it does move and you need to get it back to where it belongs.

Steve

I agree on the solder fix. In addition, if you kiss a slight dimple into the bottom of the sight base and in the bottom of the dovetail notch, once you have the sight adjusted as needed if you heat the sight until the solder flows it will semi-permanently lock it in place.

Excellent advice, I’ve done this several times with great success. No unsightly “peening”.
Guessing you haven’t read post 5 above or tried the peening process described in it. There is no unsightly “peening”, and the only evidence something has been done is the sight is no longer loose. Here are a couple photographs, guess worth a thousand words each. Should make it self explanatory. You just lightly tap the socket to tighten up the dovetail.
1648951428077.jpeg

1648951452980.jpeg

Light Bulb!
This quandary does present another possibility. If you are otherwise satisfied with the revolver, replace the sight post with small brass blade sight. Allow the brass dovetail to be slightly oversized and that should take care of the slack when you tap it home. I’ve seen quite a few original New Model Remingtons with brass or nickel silver front sights. I’ve never liked those dang front post sights!

The question to me isn’t so much that it’s a five minute job or a five hour job. It’s that he bought a new in the box revolver and the sight will fall off. I would expect at least some level of fit and finish before it passed from the factory to the purchaser.

Steve, I had a problem with a pistol from Midway earlier this year. Midway was no help, so I had to work with the importer -- Traditions. Not a terrific outcome after all was said and done. But I think Uberti imports these direct without a middleman/wholesaler. I would like to hear of your experience if you do send it back to them.

Midway will not except return’s on these pistols. And if you send it back to stoeger your looking at half a year even if they can get another one. Ask me I know, there is no sending it back to Uberti that option does not exist I tried. I don’t know why and yes it sucks. All the BP Pistols from Midway USA they get from Stoeger. Check your Box. And I would not want Stoegers gun smiths to mess with it. Use a little blue locktite under the dovetail she will never move on you.

Guessing you haven’t read post 5 above or tried the peening process described in it. There is no unsightly “peening”, and the only evidence something has been done is the sight is no longer loose. Here are a couple photographs, guess worth a thousand words each. Should make it self explanatory. You just lightly tap the socket to tighten up the dovetail.
1648951428077.jpeg

1648951452980.jpeg
Why did you dovetail a socket onto your barrel?
🤣

Latest posts

Back