• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone else excited for squirrel season?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm left handed, I have two rifles to choose from that I made from a plank. A 40cal. southern mountain flint and a Ohio half stock percussion 32 cal. Just waiting for it to cool down here in norteast Ohio.

Going out again tomorrow but taking the scattergun. Just too many leaves for a rifle. Saw a half dozen Wednesday but could never get a clear shot. Going to use my Colerain turkey gun. It should be good for 30 yards or so.
I always use a rifle when the leaves are on, well, not always, but most of the time. Later in the fall the squirrels are on the ground running. It's a little harder to get a good shot with a rifle then. That's the time I take the scattergun.

Ok....time for a squirrel hunting tail , using my new Brown Bess Musket. In 1971 , I was trying to find my M/ling knowledge with both hands. I still was shooting competition trap since age 14 , and was bored with it. Money was tight , so put together a Brown Bess Kit musket. Figured a "shot gun is a Shotgun" , Took it to the range , and filed the front sight down 'till she hit at 25 yds.. In a day or two , it was the first day of the October early squirrel season. I was on the mountain ,foggy and damp enough to sneak around. I moved up to a nice gray , with 1 5/8 oz. of copper plated # 5 shot powered by an equal amount of Dupont FFG , under the required wad column top and bottom. I lined up on the grey above me , and boom. He fell out of the tree onto the ground , but I didn't notice the hole 10 ft. up in the oak tree , he was heading for in a wounded state. No time to reload , so it was the steel r/r or I would loose my prize. A couple strong swats with the trumpet end of the rod , and I was already mentally tasting fried squirrel. I also paused to ask a question , Wonder if some Colonist , ever had to bring game to bay , the way , I just did?? That was the first game , I was to kill with a m/l gun......oldwood :thumb:

I'm excited but don't have a rifle sighted in yet. Hope to do that in a week or so. To hot right now Indiana. I do have my fusil. I better get my license. Might be going sooner than I think.

Back