Anyone else excited for squirrel season?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

longwalk

32 Cal
Reaction score
I'm left handed, I have two rifles to choose from that I made from a plank. A 40cal. southern mountain flint and a Ohio half stock percussion 32 cal. Just waiting for it to cool down here in norteast Ohio.

Reaction score
Going out again tomorrow but taking the scattergun. Just too many leaves for a rifle. Saw a half dozen Wednesday but could never get a clear shot. Going to use my Colerain turkey gun. It should be good for 30 yards or so.
I always use a rifle when the leaves are on, well, not always, but most of the time. Later in the fall the squirrels are on the ground running. It's a little harder to get a good shot with a rifle then. That's the time I take the scattergun.

Reaction score
Ok....time for a squirrel hunting tail , using my new Brown Bess Musket. In 1971 , I was trying to find my M/ling knowledge with both hands. I still was shooting competition trap since age 14 , and was bored with it. Money was tight , so put together a Brown Bess Kit musket. Figured a "shot gun is a Shotgun" , Took it to the range , and filed the front sight down 'till she hit at 25 yds.. In a day or two , it was the first day of the October early squirrel season. I was on the mountain ,foggy and damp enough to sneak around. I moved up to a nice gray , with 1 5/8 oz. of copper plated # 5 shot powered by an equal amount of Dupont FFG , under the required wad column top and bottom. I lined up on the grey above me , and boom. He fell out of the tree onto the ground , but I didn't notice the hole 10 ft. up in the oak tree , he was heading for in a wounded state. No time to reload , so it was the steel r/r or I would loose my prize. A couple strong swats with the trumpet end of the rod , and I was already mentally tasting fried squirrel. I also paused to ask a question , Wonder if some Colonist , ever had to bring game to bay , the way , I just did?? That was the first game , I was to kill with a m/l gun......oldwood :thumb: