• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anyone been casting lately?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just spend a couple of hours casting a bunch of 311 round balls again this afternoon. I have plenty but decided since it was such a nice day it with all this talk about casting it would be a good time to fire up the pot. I ended up with a couple of hundred. That should last me a through the winter or longer.

I'm pretty well stocked up on muzzle loading RB's and some conicals for my C&B revolvers at this point. I do want to try casting some bullets for a unmentionable pistol, but currently have pure lead in the pot.

Well, I did 450, 487 grain bullets and about 100 ,175 grain bullets but no balls this time as I have plenty already cast in .54cal .45 cal, and .36 cal.
I don't shoot my muzzle loaders near as much in cold weather as I do spring,summer and fall. My fingers freeze up pretty fast now days when bare handing lead balls and steel guns and takes the fun out of it for me.

We have already cast our votes (early voting).

A couple of weeks ago I cast up some minie's for my new 1864 Springfield.

Using the Ideal 575213OS mold they cast up fine. When I switched to the Lyman 585213HB mold (new to me), I couldn't get the skirts to fill out at all. I finally discovered the problem. The previous owner had put the wrong base pin in the mold.

The pin from the Ideal fit it perfectly so I got some very good minie's out of that mold too. I was able to fix the other pin by cutting a new grove for the c-clip, which aligned the base pin shoulder with the base of the minie.

bpd303 said:
A couple of weeks ago I cast up some minie's for my new 1864 Springfield.

The pin from the Ideal fit it perfectly so I got some very good minie's out of that mold too. I was able to fix the other pin by cutting a new grove for the c-clip, which aligned the base pin shoulder with the base of the minie.
You're the man!

Glad you figured her out and got it fixed my friend. Happy Casting! :thumbsup:

Respectfully, Cowboy

I care not a whit what any nay sayers say about your setup. I think it is beautiful and quite proper. A tip of my chapeau for your casting setup, it is beautiful and appears to be quite safe. :hatsoff:

Yep nice setup... I'd post a picture of mine but then everyone would know how messy I am and that I suffer from "flat surface syndrome" :grin:

My wife always says organized people are just too lazy to look for things. :slap:

bpd303 said:
Yep nice setup... I'd post a picture of mine but then everyone would know how messy I am and that I suffer from "flat surface syndrome" :grin:

My wife always says organized people are just too lazy to look for things. :slap:

\

:rotf: :rotf:

Back