• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Anybody making their own percussion caps or using centerfire primers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, anyone doing any of these things?
, well I'm sure they are.
Me? Nope.
Nobody has been able to do anything "reliable" for the last 50 yrs that I know of,, and DIY hasn't improved since then.
(if it did,, we'd all know and be sharing!)

I have an old "Tap-O-Cap" which I have made percussion caps with. A time consuming process, but if you don't have or can't find any caps it is better than nothing. I also have an "Accra-shot" nipple that uses small rifle primers. Haven't used it in years, and hope i don't have to in the future. It was slow to reload, and as stated, CF rifle primers are hard to find right now too!

The caps I bought 25+/- years ago for my kids cap pistols were iffy. Some would bang, some would pffft, and some would just roll on to the next one. And as necchi said, I can't imagine quality has improved any.

Apparently, some people haven't read the forum rules. This caused me to have to delete or modify several posts in this thread.

We do not talk about modern cartridge guns or the cartridges they use on the forum.
The only cartridges we can talk about are those that do not have a primer or cap built into them.

Primerless cartridges were used in several different carbines and rifles during the War Between the States. In order for them to work, a separate musket primer was placed on the nipple just as it would be with a regular muzzleloader.

sorry if I violated the rules. by responding to he post. my mistake, I apologize if I did.

Back