• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Anybody have an 1-1/2" bore cannon?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cannon balls are supposed to be iron, 1.5" would be a Rabonet (on the left). OTOH lead is a lot easier to make in to a ball unless you have a friendly foundary :thumbsup:

cballs.jpg

1-1/2" cast iron balls are available, and would be considerably lighter, and produce less pressure. But they are expensive.

Bountyhunter, my cannon has a 1" bore, I shoot steel balls from an industrial supply house. Have never had any trouble with them. Have used some of them several times, even after firing them into a steel plate. The price is right, about $20.00 for 15. McMaster Carr has 1 1/2" steel balls for $4.89 each. Have no idea how that compares to iron balls. h4198

Hi, you could also pore zinc into a mold if you had one. About the same weight as steel I think.

I shoot wheel weight lead out of my 1 inch gun and have never had any problems. I just go to the local tire shop and they give me a 5 gallon bucket full for free. It is a little more work because you have to scim off all the steel and other impurities but and it is not good to shoot through a riffled barrel but it works great in my smoothbore. :m2c:

I dont have the catalog handy, but there is a metal works company in Dallas that stocks cast iron balls for fence decorations of all different sizes. Last I remember they were about $85 per 100. Hern Iron works advertized at one time that they had cast iron balls. Dont remember the price.

I just didnt know if the lead would be enough heavier that it would raise the pressure beyond safe or not.

I took my barrel to my ranch and fired 1-1/2 oz of pyrodex in it with a couple sheets of newspaper rammed in front. It made a real nice sound. It also scared 200 head of steers I had in the feedlot and ran them through the fence. I havent shot it there since.......

B

Here is a source for cheap iron balls. The shipping rates are very painfull however.

web page

Here is another source. They have 1 3/8 that would work OK in your 1 1/2 inch bore.

web page

"Don't shoot your eye out kid"

Back