• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Anybody have a 15/16" TC bored to .54

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was thinking about finding a really roached out TC Hawkens 15/16 barrel and having it bored to .54 for the kit gun build I finished a while back which is a .50. One gun two barrels. A drop in would cost way more thay the gun will ever be worth even with two barrels.

I know all .54 TC barrels are 1" so I was wondering if there is enough meat to go to a .54 with a 15/16" barrel. Mr Hoyt has done a .50 to .54 for me but it was a 1" barrel.

I know all .54 TC barrels are 1" so I was wondering if there is enough meat to go to a .54 with a 15/16" barrel. Mr Hoyt has done a .50 to .54 for me but it was a 1" barrel.

All of Lyman's 54's are 15/16" and to the best of my recollection GM made a 15/16" 54 cal drop-in. Bud has one and is real proud of it.

I'll let Hoyt answer for himself, but unless the sight screws are bored too deep (I know of cases where that happened at TC), I'm betting he'll give you a thumbs up. Guessing here, but he might recommend that you plumb the screw holes for depth before you go to the trouble of mailing the barrel.

All of Lyman's 54's are 15/16" and to the best of my recollection GM made a 15/16" 54 cal drop-in. Bud has one and is real proud of it.

I'll let Hoyt answer for himself, but unless the sight screws are bored too deep (I know of cases where that happened at TC), I'm betting he'll give you a thumbs up. Guessing here, but he might recommend that you plumb the screw holes for depth before you go to the trouble of mailing the barrel.
What does Lyman barrels have to do with T/C

Drop in barrels were also discussed big difference.dont be so fast to judge you chill and go home to your planet uranus !!!

Strange, as Mr Hoyt bored out my 15/16 50cal T/C barrel to 54cal
MikeW
Well that is great news. Perhaps he received so many requests to do just that,, that he's revisited the task.
I do know the issue he has with boring/rifling TC barrels is the depth of the factory drilled holes for rear sight and rail.
He has a tolerance for that depth that can lend "some" barrels un-fit for a larger bore.
Thanks for setting us straight.
I want one. I want a 15/16 54cal TC barrel now, :)
Wait, I gotta go find one, buy it and pay for the job! :eek:

Every now and then a really rough TC barrel shows up on ebay and goes for less than $50, I could fix the exterior and Mr Hoyt could fix the interior. The deal breaker I see a lot is the barrel has been drilled for a scope mounts, I wouldn't chance one of these. There is was up for bid that had LARGE holes drilled into oblique flats, big deep holes and people were bidding on it.

Back