• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any thoughts on Colt`s 1861 rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fatelvis

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone have one of these commemoritive rifles? They look well made, but how do they shoot? How much did you pay for it? Thanks-

I can't vouch for the Colt, but I have a Armi Sport version of the 1861, and I can tell you that the 1861 is an excellent rifle in all respects. I am very happy with my Armi-Sport, so the Colt version has to be a winner.

When I first got mine, it felt pretty long, heavy, and muzzle heavy...but after a fair amount of handling I've gotten quite used to it. Just had to learn to move my left hand up the stock a ways when carrying the rifle "at the ready". It "hangs" VERY steady for off hand shooting.

On shooting, again, my 1861 shoots very well...so the Colt has to be a good shooter. I've heard the Colts have the progressive rifling. I can't imagine being dissapointed in the Colt as a shooter...unless you have no idea of how to experiment and develope loads. ?? Like any muzzle loader it may not shoot great with the first projectile and load you poke down the barrel.

If you are not familiar with the .58 minnie rifles, they are very fun to shoot at the range, but they are also very powerful rifles when loaded up with good hunting loads. And they will take a very heavy load. Recoil will become a major concern before stressing the gun ever does. They will/have take(n) any/every game animal in North America...and most African game.

Best accuracy so far with my '61 is with a LEE 456 grain "REAL" bullet, (the mould is listed as a 440 grain, but actually throws a 456 grain bullet) a wonder wad, and 90 grains of 777. Traditional minnie-balls are usually pretty much[url] undersized...made[/url] for fast loading with a dirty rifle under combat conditions. Find a slug that is a tight fit in your bore, (I use a short-starter with that REAL bullet) and she should/will shoot great. Heavy hunting loads require a flat-base bullet, or a minnie with a heavy skirt. But even a moderate load in a .58 minnie rifle will take deer and elk no problem. The standard service load of 60 grains BP and a 460+ grain minnie will work on deer...as it used to work on horses very well...!!!!

I love my '61...what can I say? Good luck and have fun if you get one.

Rat

Last edited by a moderator:
Back