• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any thought as to what school this patch box would be from

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My father found this broken stock in a house in NE Indiana back in the 40's.

Attachments

• 20200917_105511.jpg
    20200917_105511.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 206
Looks like someone might have been inspired by a Lancaster daisy patch box, but decided to make the petals pointed. Some of the other elements are C-scrolls or half C-scrolls on the side plates.

Is this an antique rifle or something made in the 20th century? Are those tacks holding the patch box on instead of screws? What kind of wood is the stock made of?

Most of the screws are still there .They are hand made. Brass is about 1/8" thick . Have no idea what kind of wood was used , looks like curly maple. It is what is left of a percussion rifle. We had the action years ago, after my father died in '51 the action dissapeared.

You are saying the patch box is made out of 1/8" thick brass?
IMO, the screws should be made out of iron. Brass screws were seldom used prior to 1900 so if they are brass, that would indicate a newer date for the stock.

You are saying the patch box is made out of 1/8" thick brass?
IMO, the screws should be made out of iron. Brass screws were seldom used prior to 1900 so if they are brass, that would indicate a newer date for the stock.
No the screws are iron , the brass is quite thick . I can't measure it as I gave it to Jim Kibler several years ago to use in a class he taught.

I don't believe the rifle was built in IN, a lot of rifles traveled a long way many years ago. Very nice looking piece, you don't still have it?

With a seven knuckle hinge and the sideplates going past the hinge, those are western Pennsylvania features.

I got to say, boys didn’t know they were supposed to build in schools at that time. Although they did tend to follow guidelines a builder still played with designs

Back