• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Any substute for lead?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Aguayo

32 Cal
Reaction score
Can't seem to find a more perfect place to research than with you guys. Is there a more ecological substance than lead for casting ball that won't wear your barrel out?

Actually, Gold is probably the most ecologically friendly muzzle loaded projectile material. In its pure form, it is soft enough to take the rifling, heavy enough to provide good down range energy and can be cast at a low enough temperature to be practical for the hobbyist. It is also completely non-toxic. Lead is only second best. I am pretty sure California won't pass legislation banning gold bullets. On the other hand gold might prove a bit more expensive than lead but worth it for those who want to protect Mother Earth. It will provide an added incentive to make every shot count!

Actually, Gold is probably the most ecologically friendly muzzle loaded projectile material. In its pure form, it is soft enough to take the rifling, heavy enough to provide good down range energy and can be cast at a low enough temperature to be practical for the hobbyist. It is also completely non-toxic. Lead is only second best. I am pretty sure California won't pass legislation banning gold bullets. On the other hand gold might prove a bit more expensive than lead but worth it for those who want to protect Mother Earth. It will provide an added incentive to make every shot count!

This was meant as a joke. RIGHT

ALRIGHT! Beautifully put. As an American Lit major, I applaud the understated humor. Thanks, I needed a laugh today. Guess I'll stick with lead, being woefully ignorant of alchemy.

Can't seem to find a more perfect place to research than with you guys. Is there a more ecological substance than lead for casting ball that won't wear your barrel out?

Guys from California would be your source, love them condors.

I have found galina in the wild in small amounts and just for fun smelted about 3/4 of a pound. Lots more work then making an order from Buffalo arms.
Copper was used extensively in Mexico and Spanish/Mexican south west. Copper melts at about double and a bit or so of lead I don’t know how easy it would be to work in your garage. I can cast lead at a fire in the back yard or at the kitchen stove but copper may not do that :).
In terms of accuracy I don’t know how it would hold up in a rifle, but within normal smoothie hunting range a copper ball should preform on a par with a lead one.

Hey 8 Bore, you just solve the no lead for hunting band in Calif, all we have to do is paint all our ammo gold color and our dumb ass politician's will never know the diffence.

That plan will backfire on you. Politicians are experts at mining gold. one whiff and they'll know it's not real gold. Then the jig is up.

Only shoot new cast ball or store your ball in mineral sprits tell everyone it’s silver bullets and hunting werewolves, I don’t think werewolves are a protected species.

Condors are a fantastic bird , they shout be harvested without using lead shot as lead taints the delicate taste of the meat. best served with a white wine. :D

I thought condors were going to be used as homing pigeons to go to St. Louis and bring back lead to California. They should be able to carry several pounds.

Latest posts

Back