Any South Carolina bears hunters?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Kamu

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Going to do my first bear hunt this year. It will be in the mountains of South Carolina. Starting my research on areas and regs. Just seeing if any bear hunters want to chew the fat a little about bear hunting.

Reaction score
Do not know about South Carolina but the coastal region of North Carolina is a very good place, some very big bears harvested in that area every year. I know this is not what you are asking just thought I would pass along the info. incase you may want to look for a future hunt. Good luck on your quest for Mr. Bruin

Kamu

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Do not know about South Carolina but the coastal region of North Carolina is a very good place, some very big bears harvested in that area every year. I know this is not what you are asking just thought I would pass along the info. incase you may want to look for a future hunt. Good luck on your quest for Mr. Bruin
Thanks for the reply. I just want to talk bear hunting and come up with a good game plan. I’ll look into that area.

Old Hawkeye

36 Cl.
Reaction score
What are your rules & regs in SC? Can you bait or hunt with hounds? Is the terrain suitable for spot & stalk? Fall or spring hunt? Do they even hibernate in SC?

Reaction score
Lived in coastal N.C. for about 3 years the Emerald Isle area seen a bunch of bears never hunted them there, but every year there was a game report of the harvest and there were some big bruisers took. Now I have hunted them in northern Ontario harvested a nice one a few years back he now graces my wall, My late father also shot one up north very big bear the wardens said it was the largest bear took in that area in the last 20 years the bear weighed 550 lbs. honest weight. As to plan scout, scout ,scout. I do not know if baiting is legal in the area you hunt or how you feel about baiting but this is also a option. When I hunted in Ontario we baited, also some spot and stalk the areas were mostly clear cut. Another option is to talk to the rural mail carriers in the areas you hunt lots of information there.

Poconobear

32 Cal
Reaction score
Very interested to hear about the SC bear season. My daughter lives down there. I live in PA. We have a muzzleloader, archery and a rifle season for bears. Most are taken by drives in rifle season. We have some huge bears. I always take my .50 TC renegade flinter during the muzzleloader season. The key to bears in the fall is food. Find food and heavy cover nearby and set up between them if you are

olskool

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I am in the low country of SC but no bears here to speak of, but a whole lot of deers,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,