• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Any other heretics out there that oil their barrels?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frog Lube is what I use in my bore. I also lube around the chamber mouths with some Bore Butter or other equivalent before ramming the ball home over a cork disc in my revolvers.

For patches in my flintlock, I use oil--olive oil, that is.

I typically use WD-40 after cleaning and follow up the next day with either Marvel Mystery Oil and/or automatic transmission fluid (new). When I go to the range, I use a clean, dry flannel patch to remove the oil and haven't had a problem in any of my rifles. Here's an example of what my Chambers (Waksupi built) Isaac Haines can do @ 25 yd. after such treatment:

Attachments

• IMG_6466.jpeg
    IMG_6466.jpeg
    453 KB · Views: 0
I spray liberally with WD40 before I leave the range/field. then after cleaning I oil with whatever bargain oil I used in the last oil change on the truck, there’s always a bit left over.
on revolving pistols I used to use water pump grease but as that is hard to come by I now use Mobile Red chassis grease, no problems ever.

For over 25 years i used Militec 1 on all my guns. A pint of Militec 1 direct from the seller cost about $10 per pint. Then the company started selling the stuff through big time outfits like Midway. Now it's $15 per four ounces.

i went to Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. Stuff costs about $5 for a quart.

Before loading the muzzleloader i swab the bore with a dry patch.

When I could get it I used Lehigh Valley Lube. I remember leaving my rifle in the closet for over a month after shooting it (I forgot) . I never had a rust problem . I lubed my patches with it and oiled the bore with it after cleaning.

I've been cleaning guns for more years than I care to count and when I got into BP quite a few years ago I decided to lubricate with the same products and methods I've used successfully on many cartridge guns. I take care of my firearms and never had a spot of rust due to improper cleaning or storage. I read about Bore Butter and the kinds of concoctions used to protect the barrel but never understood why no one recommended a light coat of oil same as you put on the cartridge gun barrel after cleaning. I do remember reading that it was the worst thing to do because it fouls the powder and it won't ignite.

In the beginning, I use to run a clean patch through before shooing in case there was too much oil but have since even stopped doing that before shooting. In all this time, not one load has been oil-fouled and not one spot of rust in my BP longarms or handguns. I buy and use the same products for all my guns regardless of the type of powder that goes in them. The only products I added to my cleaning arsenal for BP are hot water and dish soap.

Are there any other BP cleaning heretics and barrel oilers in the forum?
Same thing I have always done. Clean with soap and hot water, light coat of oil and dry patch when your ready to take it back out to shoot. Never had a problem.

Dry, and oil for me, a couple of days later wipe with dry patches then animal grease/olive oil mix, a couple of days later wipe with dry, just enough to make sure there are no globs

Kinda. I use vegetable oil though, no dinosaur products

What is weird about me is I clean the revolver with veg oil and nothing else. Rifle gets the hot water treatment. Nothing else besides tools and elbow grease used. Will admit I had access to an air compressor last time I cleaned rifle. Very handy for ensuring nothing left from nipple to muzzle. A compressor is on my "gonna get bought soon" list ...

Ballistol inside and out. If you ever come across a bottle of whale oil in an antique store snatch it up! Works great on moving parts, but lightweight enough to attract minimal dust.

Back