• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Any Old Muzzleloading Pistol Challenge , Ends Oct 31

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro224

Reaction score
Due to several requests,
Any Old Muzzleloading Pistol Challenge.

This will be a 2-part/2-target contest just like the Walker/Dragoon Challenge except that any muzzleloading pistol may be used. Revolver or single shot, cap or flint.

The target is a standard 8.5 x 11" sheet of printer paper. You may use an X, a circle, a dot, or whatever aiming point you desire. Center of paper is center of target. Center of target will be determined by judge.

Part One:

Distance is 10 yards for target number one.

Shots are to be taken off-hand using a one-hand hold for target number one.

Take 5 shots at target number one.

Write your screen name and "target one" on your target.

Part Two:

Distance is 25 yards for target number two.

Shots are to be taken off-hand using either a one-hand or two-hand hold for target number two.

Take 5 shots at target number two.

Write your screen name and "target two" on your target.

Targets with more than 5 holes will be disqualified.

Scoring:

Group size, and distance from target center to group center, will be measured and added together for target number one.

Each shot will be measured from center of target to center of shot for target number two.

Smallest total determines the winner.

Judges decision is final.

Targets that have been mutilated will be disqualified.

All Muzzleloadingforum members are eligible to participate.

Members screen name and target number must be written on each target. (So we know who won. )

One entry set per member.

Multiple targets may be submitted in the same envelope to save postage if more than one member shoots in the same group.

Targets must be received by October 31, 2010 to be eligible.

Targets received after October 31, 2010 will be disqualified.

Targets will not be returned unless an S.A.S.E. is included.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe!

Mail entries to;
Jim Green
P.O. Box 22
Pekin, IL 61555-0022

The horse pistol challenge was easy - I only had 4 to choose from. Shot all 4 and picked the best.

But - ANY pistol? By Halloween? :shocked2:

So many pistols, so little time... :shake:
But the worst thing is I don't have an excuse to buy another one... :wink:

Thanks.
As soon as I get back to civilization I'll try it out. ('bout 3 weeks from now) :bow:

Sounds good to me too! :grin: Now, which pistol to shoot? Decisions - decisions. :hmm: Have to think about that for a minute, but we'll come up with something. :thumbsup:

See ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

:thumbsup: Looks like there might be some competition this time.
The more, the merrier! :hatsoff:

BTW...It don't really hafta be an OLD pistol.
You can use new ones too.

:wink: :haha:

2 targets inbound to you. :bow:
I got to the range to do the shoot today & despite having a couple of way undercharged powder dumps managed to get 'em all on paper.
'Course they won't actually go anywhere till Tuesday, but that should still be plenty of time for the carrier pigeon to flap to you. :grin:

Ok Jethro, I shot my targets today, wind and all. Not quite as good as I would have liked, but fair. We'll see how they stack up. Used my Rugar Old Army. A fun gun to shoot, but a pain to clean. :grin: I'll put it in the mail tomorrow. :thumbsup:

See ya, Jim/OH :hatsoff:

Well.....I went to the range this morning with the intention of shooting target one and two. After I took one sighting shot and fired five more with shots for target one and then noticed I had only two caps left. So I had to pick up a couple of tins of #11 caps. I hadn't shot caplocks in many years, I started shooting a couple of caplocks to give me a couple of new categories for the paper punching matches I started shooting in summer. I was taken aback by the " Sticker Shock" of a tin of caps now!
I will go back to the range tomorrow to shoot the other five shots on target two! Drat another reason to go to the range!

Jethro,
Thanks for helping me re-aquaint myself with my .45 cal CVA Kentucky percussion pistol. :hatsoff: It's been a few years since I let it bark. I got to the range today. First thing, I fired 2 at 25 and 1 at 10 just to refresh my sight picture for this gun. Then, I did the 10 yard, then the 25 yard targets, and felt pretty good about it.:wink: I'm going to have to take this gun and play some more because it was fun. I'll put the targets in the mail on my way to work in the AM. Here's my "Plinky Plunker", (Say that ten times fast).:thumbsup:
45calKentuckyPistolsetupjpg.jpg

Well....On Tuesday I shot a good #1 target and then ran out of caps. I picked up caps on the way home and thought I could resume my good luck this morning (Wednesday). WRONG! The magic did not carry over 24 hours. One good one and one bad one
in the mail today.

I shot my 25 yard target today, and I'm pretty happy with the results. However...

The fifth shot hit between two other shots which were fairly close together. The paper between those two previous shots was torn and the fiberboard target back had a hole in it, so the ball on my fifth shot did not make a hole in the paper. There is a clear impression (lead 'smudges') on the paper where the ball impacted it.

So, do I need to go back and shoot another round at this target, to get 5 clear holes, or are the smudges and paper tear sufficient to define the fifth round?

I can send or post a photo of the area if you'd like.

Back