• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Any Lyman Plains Pistol fans here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will confess to owning a 50 and a 54. And have not fired a shot in either one. But, I hope to be retired in 14 months and have lots of lead to cast balls with.
That's almost un-American...LOL
I certainly LOVE shooting mine. Some of you may have already seen this fun/wacky one, however, here's one example of the GP pistol in action:

I've seen some beautiful loading stands, but they scare me and I don't think I'd ever use one. I've shot pistols for years, and always just hold the butt up against my belt line as I do the ball starting and seating. I have seen quite a few cases over the years of stocks cracked from putting pressure down on the pistol while the butt was resting on a piece of wood.
When I start and run the ball - I pick it up by the muzzle and let the butt dangle. I too, fear of splitting the stock. This my .54
20210720_183523.jpg
20210720_183858.jpg

If I could have retired at 50 I wouldn't have let the door hit me in the a**. Retirement isn't overrated, by any means. Especially with the way things are currently.

my '401k' is just barely seven figures now, and my FERS pension would only be somewhat meager, even with the supplemental bridge payment, so unfortunately it just does not feel quite ready yet

Bought a .54 kit yesterday and am impatiently awaiting its arrival. I’ve got a flint Pedersoli Kentucky in .54 but wanted something I could load a little hotter for hunting.

Now I’m conflicted. Would it be proper to rust brown or blacken the metal parts?

I’ve got time to figure it out, I’m still in the middle of building a Kibler SMR.

-Jake

Rust blue is a great way to finish iron. Browning is the same thing with out the boiling water, make it the way you want. But blueing makes it stand out!

I’ve been happy with the rust blue on several flintlocks I’ve finished, provides a nice contrast between the wood and steel. I just finished rust browning a tomahawk head and it’s fine but seems a little “off” next to my blued ones

Decisions!

-Jake

I have a 54 cal also I use it while deer hunting for close shots wit PBR also carry 54 flint deerstalker.

I had mine out again recently testing some new loads. 20 yards on an 8 inch plate rack

Attachments

• IMG_0542.MOV
    19 MB
Back