• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Any Lyman Plains Pistol fans here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent info!

I'm def going to buy a pistol stand like the one you made, the more I think about it the more it seems like a necessary piece of kit if you have a ML pistol

Second; the Lyman bead front sight appears to be just the thing my old eyes need! I can't bing myself to mount the rear sight though ( at least not yet), it just looks so, so... modern, asthetically changing the appearance of the rifle. Wonder if you can buy them separately ? And would it fit the front site dovetail of my Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken. Are all recenlty dovetails cut into ml barrels the same ? Unlike some of the more gunsmithing adept members, for me it's ' if it don't fit I must acquit !'
Jonathan, yes you can just buy the front sight over bought 4 so far the bead breaks easy if dropped. I've got the bead on a lyman deerstalker .54 and a lyman great plains hunter .54. I may buy those sights to put on my lyman gpp .54 I'm not worried if it looks period correct as it's a tool to carry hunting. If it helps with accuracy and sight picture I'm all for it

Nice job! Totally servicable and looks good enough for rendezvous! By the way, where exactly did you get the belt ? I've been looking everywhere for a 2-3"in width leather belt w/ iron buckle, no luck whatsoever!

Jonathan, check out the Springfield Leather Co. - whatever you need, they got. I’ll probably post this story later, but i returned a Lyman pistol a couple of months ago and they sent me a whole new pistol Saturday. I need to call and straighten all that out. Thanks for this thread - i need to call Springfield for a new belt blank for my pistol and a new rifleman’s knife.

don

My research indicates that the new gpp from Lyman was intentional. The lady i talked to said that since the virus, the Italian manufacturer is waaay behind. So now i need a new barrel.

But after reading through this thread, i realize i’m toast. This morning i walked past the pile of misc stuff i’d left on the table from just the right angle and the sight of the barrel-less pistol brought a snubbie to mind. Then i thought, nah, nobody’d cut down a perfectly good plains pistol

Then i saw the above photos

Attachments

• 8A12C81F-728D-4C4F-971E-D0FE3EE82418.jpeg
    8A12C81F-728D-4C4F-971E-D0FE3EE82418.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 160
I just fired my new-to-me Lyman .54 Plains Pistol a month ago... I am eligible to retire in 85 days, but I will probably linger on for some time, as 50 just seems way too early to stop working

A work in progress. Combined with a box for supplies.
Have since pics, added cutouts in base for holding cap tins, bullet box and patches, small bottles of MAP and Windex, and drilled holes in shelf for starter rods. Eventually I will use this for a model for a finished box with all dovetailed joints and made with hardwood. This model was put together with left over pine shelves.
View attachment 16883View attachment 16884
Plains Rifle is a few years old. Plains pistol is 50+
Both have killed deer!
I've seen some beautiful loading stands, but they scare me and I don't think I'd ever use one. I've shot pistols for years, and always just hold the butt up against my belt line as I do the ball starting and seating. I have seen quite a few cases over the years of stocks cracked from putting pressure down on the pistol while the butt was resting on a piece of wood.

I just fired my new-to-me Lyman .54 Plains Pistol a month ago... I am eligible to retire in 85 days, but I will probably linger on for some time, as 50 just seems way too early to stop working
If I could have retired at 50 I wouldnt have let the door hit me in the a**. Retirement isnt overrated by any means. Especially with the way things are currently.

Back