• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Any Lyman Plains Pistol fans here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You go for it Stan. Now if you want to trade or sell that Mountain pistol, you let me know. I figure it's cluttering up your storage space,right?
DL

From the kit. Re-crown was finished with a 1" ball bearing and lapping compound. Got tired of fiddling with the bits of sights furnished so made these from scrap brass with steel blades. Dry black walnut hulls and de-greased 0000 steel wool steeped in soft water for two weeks yielded the wood stain; only one application here and I broke my forty-four year tradition of an oil stock finish and used varnish this time. 004.JPG 007.JPG

I'm at the point where I'm either gonna make the CVA a match pistol project with a new lock or it's eventually gonna go :)
The only way to make a CVA into a good usable gun is to replace the lock with a drop-in from one of the quality makers. CVA locks generally suck; bad springs, soft frizzen (if so equipped), and poorly fitted parts. I have spent many hours on some, and never got them satisfactory. Get a drop-in . Their barrels are pretty good.

I was using a prb with 30 gr. of 3f in it. The pig was probably about 25 yds or so, and I hit it right In the middle of the shoulder. The ball didn't exit, but the pig went down within a few feet. I personally think a lot of folks get a little carried away with their powder charges and it isn't necessarily needed....but to each their own.

I love my pistol but unfortunately I only use it to shoot holes in paper I’m using 25 grains 2f or 3 f did not notice a difference? the patch I use is from October country lubricated patch 0.15 makes it way easy to load Pretty accurate goes great with my great plains rifle

Very nice pistols, I'm squireling some bucks putaway to come up with the cash. want a .54 cal. to match my trade rifle.keep us informed with your experimenting on loads.

Picked up a new GPP in .54 last week!! Need to shoot it!!
Anyone have pics of their loading stands?
A work in progress. Combined with a box for supplies.
Have since pics, added cutouts in base for holding cap tins, bullet box and patches, small bottles of MAP and Windex, and drilled holes in shelf for starter rods. Eventually I will use this for a model for a finished box with all dovetailed joints and made with hardwood. This model was put together with left over pine shelves.
20181117_110340.jpg20181114_205121.jpg
Plains Rifle is a few years old. Plains pistol is 50+
Both have killed deer!

Last edited:
How do the Traditions pistols hold up? The Trapper for example. I'm looking into a .54 Flintlock possibly.

Latest posts

Back