• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Any Lyman Plains Pistol fans here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I checked GB and didn't see any consistency on pricing. I will call tomorrow and see exactly what comes with it.

It comes with a can of Pyrodex, box of hornady balls, package of patches, 2 tins of primers, a powder measure, and a ball starter/ram rod. I think I will pick it up this week.

I gave 170 for mine, but is is old and showed signs of being very experienced. Bore was in top condition, spring was strong. I like old, so I jumped on it. It functions perfectly, is a great shooter.
Oh, and did I mention? It is VERY accurate with 30gr fffg, /.015 minked patch and a .535 lead ball!

I'm pretty sure my Plains Pistol would out shoot most of my cartridge, unmentionable pistols. Not positive, have one tack-driver for sure, but it would take an awful lot of shooting to find out.

I am continually impressed with the accuracy of My Plains Pistol. It is old, from the date at least 30 years old.
At todays outing to the range, I set up at 40 meters and was shooting from a bag.
The charge I worked up to to get the sights on 10" target was 45gr of 3f. It shoots like a dream.
I put somewhere around 30 balls through it. .535 soft lead, .015 minked cotton patch.
It was a wonderful day to be out!
20181223_094107.jpg
20181223_094119.jpg
20181223_094212.jpg

Got one in like new condition a few years back, but haven't shot it yet. Re a flint model: When PA changed the rules to permit muzzle loader pistols again for deer, I sent an email to Lyman suggesting they introduce a flint model. Never even got the courtesy of a response.

Here’s mine. A kit gun that I built in 2012.
9syla8.jpg

Once I built the GPR kit in 2009 I had to have a pistol to accompany the rifle. Thats how Jeremiah Johnson trekked thru the mountains with his trusty Hawken rifles and pistol for backup.
I like it!
i4iohi.jpg

Oh I like your rifle. And the pistol of course. Yeah I think that combo makes for a well armed man, (or woman) and have begun to carry my Plains Pistol more often when hunting, especially when calling in cougar and bear. Actually, dude's name was John Johnston, "Jeremiah Johnson" was a hollywood thing. "Sounded better" they said. Is the pistol a .50" or .54"?

My boys boss gave him one like these pictured, but we really don’t know what it is, we think it’s a CVA. He’s shooting unpatched round balls in it for now because my .44 balls fit w/o patches. Actually they’re tight enough we can’t patch them. It didn’t work well so he took it apart himself and polished the lock parts that rub, and greased it, now it fires well. The gun had a steel ram rod with it if that identifies it???

Actually, dude's name was John Johnston, "Jeremiah Johnson" was a hollywood thing. "Sounded better" they said. Is the pistol a .50" or .54"?
Our favorite mountain man started life as John Garrison, born in New Jersey.
Jeremiah Johnson was the last name he adopted to hide from the law (after defecting twice from military service, and wanted so he could be hung)
One of his fans has put together a great website that tells his know story.
http://johnlivereatingjohnston.com/

Oh I like your rifle. And the pistol of course. Yeah I think that combo makes for a well armed man, (or woman) and have begun to carry my Plains Pistol more often when hunting, especially when calling in cougar and bear. Actually, dude's name was John Johnston, "Jeremiah Johnson" was a hollywood thing. "Sounded better" they said. Is the pistol a .50" or .54"?

Both are .54

I'm quite happy with my .50", but a .54" was what I really wanted. But, as I've mentioned before, got a deal I couldn't refuse. There was an outfit, quite a while ago, and I don't remember who, that was selling just the barrels for the Plains Pistols in both 50&54, but I didn't jump on it....then they was gone. If I do ever come across one, I think I'd like to do the half octagon/half round barrel thing, not just for the cool look, but also to reduce the weight.

I'm quite happy with my .50", but a .54" was what I really wanted. But, as I've mentioned before, got a deal I couldn't refuse. There was an outfit, quite a while ago, and I don't remember who, that was selling just the barrels for the Plains Pistols in both 50&54, but I didn't jump on it....then they was gone. If I do ever come across one, I think I'd like to do the half octagon/half round barrel thing, not just for the cool look, but also to reduce the weight.
The extra weight on the 54 is not a bad thing when you juice it up to a full power load! It's a real handful!

The extra weight on the 54 is not a bad thing when you juice it up to a full power load! It's a real handful!
Well, the .54 should be lighter than the .50". (is that what you meant) If so, indeed, I may actually be able to produce the most power, with the 240 grain slug, that is still within my recoil-tolerance, than perhaps I could with the .54. ? The .54 would be more powerful, obviously, but I might not be able to juice it up as much. Anyhow, I think I'm good with the .50", sure can't complain about the accuracy, which of course is more important than a few extra pounds of muzzle energy.

Very nice guns:)

I've wanted one in .50 for years, kept buying other stuff. Last week I finally decided to get one, Dixie has them on sale for $325......but , I saw a Pedersoli .45 Kentucky pistol in used but probably hardly, condition for $250 on GunJoker and bought that instead......

However, I still want the .50 Great Plains pistol......I would hope mine shoots good with .50 Minies and I'd load up some paper cartridges with 30-40 grains of 2f.......sounds like a fun range day.

I love the look of them, they have that utilitarian, 1840's military pistol look to them. Like something a European army would have used.

These would be way neat in .58, but I don't think Lyman will accommodate us

Back