Any Lyman Plains Pistol fans here?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Rawhide67

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I have a lot of guns to shoot when I retire. The plains pistols among them.

I'll be 55 when I become eligible. I'm too old to do what I've been doing safely.

Reaction score
I will confess to owning a 50 and a 54. And have not fired a shot in either one. But, I hope to be retired in 14 months and have lots of lead to cast balls with.
That's almost un-American...LOL
I certainly LOVE shooting mine. Some of you may have already seen this fun/wacky one, however, here's one example of the GP pistol in action:

Griz44Mag

69 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen some beautiful loading stands, but they scare me and I don't think I'd ever use one. I've shot pistols for years, and always just hold the butt up against my belt line as I do the ball starting and seating. I have seen quite a few cases over the years of stocks cracked from putting pressure down on the pistol while the butt was resting on a piece of wood.
When I start and run the ball - I pick it up by the muzzle and let the butt dangle. I too, fear of splitting the stock. This my .54
20210720_183523.jpg
20210720_183858.jpg

hrt4me

40 Cal
Reaction score
If I could have retired at 50 I wouldn't have let the door hit me in the a**. Retirement isn't overrated, by any means. Especially with the way things are currently.
my '401k' is just barely seven figures now, and my FERS pension would only be somewhat meager, even with the supplemental bridge payment, so unfortunately it just does not feel quite ready yet

Packrat

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Retired at 55 and never looked back
As far as loading, I have a short Leatherman holster, when loading my pistol I place the butt in the holster and load, it works fine for me