• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Any Lyman Plains Pistol fans here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My GP pistol .54, mate to my .54 GPR.

Attachments

• 7C51E36C-CE31-4D49-B94B-F3527593B4D2.jpeg
    7C51E36C-CE31-4D49-B94B-F3527593B4D2.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Right on, an easy pistol to clean. I've often wondered, if twelve aimed shots couldn't be fired by a single shot pistol, as fast as a revolver. Considering the time spent reloading the revolver for the last six shots, compared to the sustained fire of the single shot.??? Anyone ever try that? I bet it would be close.
No, i've tried it. Don't work for me. We shoot thirteen round in a comp. The revolvers shoot 5-5 and 3 for their 13 rounds. I'm way behind with my flintlock 54 Kentucky.

I've been very happy with my Plains Pistol. Its the first kit gun I built. Its a .54 caliber. Its been very accurate with a .530" ball, .018" pillow ticking patch lubed with either Bumblin' Bear Grease or Trappers Pure Mink Oil over 25gr 3F Goex.

Stored Pics From Z612 Camera 229.JPG

I believe this was my first range trip and first three shots with it in 2010. The point of aim was the bottom of the circle where the arrow is pointed.
Stored Pics From Z612 Camera 192.JPG

I've hunted small game with it a few times over the years using the load I listed above.

These grouse were the first game taken with it in 2011.
Stored Pics From Z612 Camera 226.JPG

In 2014 I took a couple cottontails with it.
4th Outing 013.JPG

In 2016 I used it on one of my all time favorite hunts. I cast some ball over a fire using a Callahan bag mold and used one of the balls to take a snowshoe hare later that day. Here's a link to a trip report I did here at the time Plains Pistol Snowshoe Hare with Cast Ball
Casting Ball Over Fire and BP Pistol Hare 073.JPG

Looking through old threads I don't see much. However, I've been quite surprised at the accuracy of my .50 cal Plains Pistol, and wonder if that is typical of this pistol. Another thing is that I made up some paper cartridges with round ball, where you tear off the end, pour in the powder, and then load the ball still in the paper. Expecting these loads to be inaccurate, but good for a fast reload in a close up encounter, I was amazed that they shot about as well as a patched round ball. ?? So, just curious about others experience with this pistol. ? The photo below shows two shots with patched ball, and three with paper cartridge, at 30 yards.View attachment 376
I’m looking around for one, or at least a Traditions trappers pistol.. either or

Back