Any Lyman Plains Pistol fans here?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Rat, Nov 9, 2018.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Nov 9, 2018 #1

Rat

Rat

Rat

50 Cal.

Looking through old threads I don't see much. However, I've been quite surprised at the accuracy of my .50 cal Plains Pistol, and wonder if that is typical of this pistol. Another thing is that I made up some paper cartridges with round ball, where you tear off the end, pour in the powder, and then load the ball still in the paper. Expecting these loads to be inaccurate, but good for a fast reload in a close up encounter, I was amazed that they shot about as well as a patched round ball. ?? So, just curious about others experience with this pistol. ? The photo below shows two shots with patched ball, and three with paper cartridge, at 30 yards. ppwt.jpg

saaman and Le Loup like this.
  2. Nov 9, 2018 #2

Bearkiller

Bearkiller

Bearkiller

40 Cal.

I like mine! Haven't shot it a whole lot. I did shoot in a match that involved 12 charcoal briquettes glued to cardboard. I hit 3 off hand at 40 yards. Not bad since the Sun was in my eyes! ;)

Rat and Le Loup like this.
  3. Nov 9, 2018 #3

Phil Coffins

Phil Coffins

Phil Coffins

40 Cal.

I'm a big fan of them. Fine accuracy and looks good. These are ones I built from kits with a bit of extra fiddling.
    [​IMG]IMG_0249 by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

smorin2, Juice Jaws and saaman like this.
  4. Nov 9, 2018 #4

denster

denster

denster

40 Cal.

Here's one I built from a kit. Changed it a bit to suite me. The kit quality is good. Plains1.JPG Plains2.JPG

5. Nov 9, 2018 #5

Rat

Rat

Rat

50 Cal.

Wow! Love the half round barrel. What beautiful wood. And wow, love that shorty version too. Those are all great pistols.

6. Nov 9, 2018 #6

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

Griz44Mag

40 Cal. Supporting Member

Denster,
    That one has a shorter barrel, was that a custom or an option?
    I just bought a 54, should be here on Saturday.
    I wanted a 54 to carry when hunting with my 54 rifle so I can share balls and patches.

7. Nov 9, 2018 #7

Rat

Rat

Rat

50 Cal.

No short-barrel/snubby option that I know of. I originally wanted a .54, thinking more power, and a bit lighter with a bigger hole in the barrel, but came upon my .50 for a great price. But I've been pleased with it, accuracy is amazing, and with a stout charge and the 240 grain Hornady PA conical I think it has plenty of power. And the round ball ain't no slouch either when loaded up, and that's what I generally shoot in it. It's still a bit lighter than the .44 mag I carried for years, so I can't complain about the weight, and it's comfortable to carry. I had a saddle maker make me a holster for it, when at half-cock the leather comes between the nipple and hammer, so that I can carry it capped and ready to rock. Denster's snubby would really carry nice in a holster, although I see he uses the belt-hook.

8. Nov 9, 2018 #8

denster

denster

denster

40 Cal.

I shortened the barrel and rib. I already had a long barrel hawken style pistol and wanted something easier to carry. This was a kit and I shortened the barrel and grip and reshaped the hook breech to suite me.

9. Nov 9, 2018 #9

Rat

Rat

Rat

50 Cal.

And a darn fine job of it too. :)

10. Nov 11, 2018 #10

fishmusic

fishmusic

fishmusic

40 Cal.

Love my Plains Pistol. Deadly at 15 yards and a great plinker at 30. 20181111_122757.jpg

11. Nov 12, 2018 at 5:32 AM #11

Rat

Rat

Rat

50 Cal.

Wow another beauty. I'd have to argue and say deadly at 30!! I've been meaning to see what kind of groups I can get at 50, but like many other things, just haven't got around to it. The picture I posted at the top of this thread is at 30 yards...with two different loads. :) That day I was in the process of bringing my POI down closer to my POA, you can see in that pic she was shooting a bit high.

12. Nov 18, 2018 at 4:23 AM #12

Ksacane

Ksacane

Ksacane

No-Classifieds

I had one that shot well, and it was stolen in a breakin. I'm working on another one from a kit in.54. I think they're great guns.