• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Any lawyers that can help set me straight - NYS laws.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg_E

40 Cal
Reaction score
Any lawyers here that can help me stay on the path navigating these new NY laws? They kind of jumbled all sorts of things into the CCIA and I'm not sure what I can order, what needs to go through an FFL, etc. I am a member of the NYSRPA, but they didn't seem to want to answer my email, even after talking to the person that handles new members at a show. When relatively intelligent adults can't determine what these laws really mean, we have a problem, so seeking help.

I'm also considering joining NMLRA, do they have a legal team that can help members navigate this stuff?

Idaho is a horrible place. Don't move here. I hear Oregon is mighty fine or Florida, or any place not Idaho. We need a shoehorn as it is to jam in all the new folks.
You notice I didn’t issue an invitation to Mississippi or Louisiana either. Both horrible, horrible backward places.

Any lawyers here that can help me stay on the path navigating these new NY laws? They kind of jumbled all sorts of things into the CCIA and I'm not sure what I can order, what needs to go through an FFL, etc. I am a member of the NYSRPA, but they didn't seem to want to answer my email, even after talking to the person that handles new members at a show. When relatively intelligent adults can't determine what these laws really mean, we have a problem, so seeking help.

I'm also considering joining NMLRA, do they have a legal team that can help members navigate this stuff?

I sent you contacts in New York via PM..

Last edited:
AFAIK, nothing changed on purchasing, only the places and conditions it may be carried.
Another thread recently had multiple people stating the Sept 2022 laws from Cuomo's accolyte, made muzzleloaders a firearm and they now require FFL to transfer. I have not found anything specific about the FFL thing, but somewhere along the way, NY appears to have changed the definition of a firearm to include muzzleloaders, except unloaded muzzleloading pistols.

Laws are intentional vague. That much easier to trip up the average person, and get a criminal conviction, or prosecution leverage to remove your rights. It's all by design.

Greg_E, congratulations on your patience. I hope you get the answer you need. While you wait, move to Indiana. Our state is so red it makes all other red states look pink. And best of all we have constitutional carry. As long as you’re not a felon you can carry. Let me know when you move here but stay away from Lake county that adjoins Chicago. see ya soon

You notice I didn’t issue an invitation to Mississippi or Louisiana either. Both horrible, horrible backward places.
Hold on a second, I really liked hanging out with the Cajun people. They may be backward in some ways but they're connected to the earth in ways I don't fully understand and I'm from a very rural background.

Hold on a second, I really liked hanging out with the Cajun people. They may be backward in some ways but they're connected to the earth in ways I don't fully understand and I'm from a very rural background.
You are spot on. I just don’t won’t others to know how wonderful it really is down here. Don’t let on that you know, too many people here will spoil it. ;)

Another thread recently had multiple people stating the Sept 2022 laws from Cuomo's accolyte, made muzzleloaders a firearm and they now require FFL to transfer. I have not found anything specific about the FFL thing, but somewhere along the way, NY appears to have changed the definition of a firearm to include muzzleloaders, except unloaded muzzleloading pistols.

Laws are intentional vague. That much easier to trip up the average person, and get a criminal conviction, or prosecution leverage to remove your rights. It's all by design.
Reloading supplies including powder and primers were added to the list too ( I think). Also "toy guns", what exactly is a toy gun? Exception was see through plastic squirt gun.

Latest posts

Back