• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Any info on this blunderbuss?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bryan Ney

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hi-
New to this forum. This is the only muzzle loader I own. It seems from what I have read that most blubderbusses were made in Europe. This one is clearly American with an inscribed eagle and a stars and stripes banner. The initials appear to be “PH” on the top line, then below it a mark I can’t make out (letter or not) a space, then “DEOP”.
Thanks for your time and expertise.
4973D90B-1226-482B-8CF8-2A86373A53E9.jpeg
6390F69E-4807-4069-B7E0-BE1B2713E93C.jpeg
93E8081B-D171-4803-9C4E-4AAFD7A58607.jpeg
6939CE13-E031-4971-ACD4-E63DF80A399F.jpeg

US army did contract for some blunderbuss in the early nineteenth century, as far as I know only a few thousand were made. Several gunmakers were contracted to make them.
I don’t know if that’s one or not.
Most ships carried stands of arms and some costal makers provided guns for them. And F&I revolution and war of 1812 saw extensive use of American ships as privateers. I’m thinking late eighteenth century on this gun (?).
Lastly some guns were restocked with mismatched parts. Unfortunately not all in the old days. By late nineteenth century mismatched guns were assembled as historic pieces for sale to collectors.

Hi Bryan and WELCOME to the forum!!

Yes, please try to post better pictures of the lock so the name can be more readily seen. That is an interesting piece.

Gus

Back